add ez dump or buy new dump truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Sep 7, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i need some advice.currently i own a 95 chevy k2500 reg cab w/8' bed,4wd,5.7 v8.i was considering adding a truck craft dump insert with all the accessories for $3,000 installed.this would make hauling materials much faster.i would also have new heavier rear springs installed.with this set up it would also be easier to plow with.on the flipside ,the dump truck can hold more material and would be more heavy duty.the downside is the wideness of the dumptruck for plowing.if i have the dump insert put in,i would also buy a new silverado hd pickup to plow with.any thoughts?

2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

3000??? i would buy a new truck.i paid 1845 for my truck craft dump bed installed

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Only you can truely answer this question. If you do more maintenance and small mulch jobs 4 yds or less, you're okay w/ an insert. If you do more landscaping and hauling stone, more mulch, topsoil, etc... then you may need the dump truck.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same question. My answer was to get a dump trailer. It worked out much better for what I do than buying a dump truck.

5. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I am in the same situation, so I went and bought this dump trailer! My issue was having to tie up my mowing trailer everytime I had a mulch job. This way I can haul off debris and also do a mulch job without having to loose a day of mowing.

dump2.jpg

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^021462, Very nice dump trailer. I recently looked at one, but they wanted $5300. What did you pay for yours'?

7. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

the truck dump inserts are no good then?

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i love my dump bed inserts.i have a new truck craft and one new ez dumper with the 51 degree dump angle and one old ez dumper with the 47 degree dump angle

9. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I have a "LITTLE TIPSTER" dump, made in Buffalo NY...It is nice because it sits lower than an EZ dumper, so you don't lose the bed space, the only drawback is with wet loads or compacted mulch/topsoil....you have to do the old run and gun move to get the load out....I am having a problem with mine, that is being fixed in the shop now, the hydraulic resevoir is seperating from the motor (must have rattled loose from the rear suspension?) Otherwise, for lawn cutting I would absolutely recommend it!!!...NO MORE SHOVELING, it will be one of the best purchases you will make!

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Have you seen the pickup box conversion kits from Northern Tools? They appear to use the existing box on the truck, and a hydraulic arm to dump the box. Was only about $800. Of course, you would still be limited to the volume and weight capacity of your existing box. Anybody seen one in person?