Add on business ideas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DAVELAWN, Feb 16, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I get people asking me occasionally to fix there equipment, and sometimes even tune them up. I am thinking of offering tuneups.....I think I can probably charge 80 bucks per machine plus parts.....tune ups are simple as hell.....what do u think

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for a company that did mower winterizations to keep the guys busy through the winter. It was very successful as a winter add-on. I assume it could be a good add-on throuhout the year as long as you have the down time to do it.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

80 bucks plus parts (markup included) seems a bit rich to me for just a mower...but what the hay.

4. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Well.....whats the going rate? Anyone know?

5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

The company I am talking about charged $40.00 for a 21" mower and $60.00 for a rider. This was back in 1994 and 1995. I have no idea what today's rate are. But what is most important, what do you have to charge in order to make money? Then, take a look at the going rate to see if your prices are in line.

David

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DAVELAWN,

I think that is a good idea. You could improve your returns on your advertising dollar by reaching out to those who need you to maintain their lawn as well as those who maintain their own lawn but need you to maintain their equipment. Excellent !!