1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Add sticker to Scythe???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREENITUP, Oct 4, 2005.

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

After reading the label for Scythe, I can't find mention of weather or not sticker will help its effectiveness. I know it's a contact and works very fast, but how well does it stick on it's own? I will be using it on the remnants of Bermuda I applied glyfo. to about 10 days ago. Any thoughts? Experiences? Thanks. :help:
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hold on, Scythe will do very little toward controlling your Bermuda other than to burn the tops and make it hard for other herbicides to work. Scythe is basically an acid that just burns the leaf. It is compatible with Roundup, but it is scythe not Roundup that recommends using them together. In the right case I like Scythe and it is a good product. But you must under stand how to use these products.

Instead Try Roundup and Fusillade to kill Bermuda as recommend by Universities.

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Ric, Thanks for the insight. I know from reading many of your previous posts that your knowledge of warm season turf far exceeds mine. But I am now in a battle with time (here in VA.) to get some seed down before temps. drop. Almost 10 days ago, I hit about 3000s/f of Bermuda (in a 17k fescue lawn) with 2.75 oz. razor pro + additional sticker + 1 oz. Scythe per gal/per1000k. This customer is scheduled for aeration & seeding in 4 days and there is still much(about 30-40%) green and healthy Bermuda that looks unaffected. I know glyfo. is slow and sure, but I need to speed things up somehow. My coverage was good, but we have drought conditions here and herbi's aren't being absorbed well. Any Ideas?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Add 21-0-0 to your tank mix of Roundup for faster up take. 1/2 lb per gallon should be enough. But Be sure to mix Roundup at the high rate Bermuda is very hard to Kill. I would suggest no less than 2.66 Oz per gallon. I see nothing wrong with adding scythe to the mix also. Scythe will give you a quick knock down and you can see if you missed any spots.

Fusilade has a 7 day residual so therefore not use it because of your time frame. Fescue is tolerant of Fusilade, but I am not so sure it wouldn't kill new germinating seeds. You will not get a total kill on Bermuda and will see it emerge in the spring. But since it is a Fescue lawn you cam control it post emerge in the late spring of early summer selectively with Fusilade.

PS. if you don't have 21-0-0 on hand and have 20-20-20 then use it at the same rate. The main reason for 21-0-0 is cost and the fact it is aborted just as fast.