1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Add Strategy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 25, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

ALong with listing all my services in the yellow pages, I was going to have a coupon in the add saying the 1st cut would be free if the customer signed a year contract with me.

Any thoughts on this, I have to have the add done before Dec. 1 because the books are going out in Jan.

Pros Cons? WOuld I be giving too much away for that free cut?

2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Make the 5th cut free (or the last).

Also, Advertising is abbreviated Ad.
  3. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

a little feedback would be nice at least............
  4. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

I did this last year, I think it works great to get customers in. Alot of people here will gripe about how much it will cost but you also got to think how many customers you will get from this. People love to get something for free. I don't think I will do it next year tho
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Grassin, Coupons are a good idea. The only draw back is that if they dont use it at the beginning of the year then they lose. but the year contract may scare alot of residentals away from calling eventhough once you get the face to face they may not be as leary of it. I think free is too much, may something to the effect of a percentage off for 1st month. jmo
  6. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

I was thinking maybe $10 off so it wouldent be so much of a loss if they cancelled. I to think that locking residentals into contracs could get nasty.
  7. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

I agree with Ron and J Hisch. Either do a percentage or a dollar figure off the regular price without requiring a year's commitment. They will probably feel more comfortable by not being locked in like that.
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mention a commitment. Draws people away to the next ad. They like to think that if they wanna quit using you that they can. If you do only contracts, mention that WHEN your doing your bid. Your more likely to get the job when your there than when one the phone or paper. Example, On my first ads, I offered 25% off first visit. It got me to the customers house, mowed thier yard, and gave an estimate for a yearly. Anyways, this is just a suggestion. Best of luck of the ad.
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use a "free soil test" coupon. Gets us on the property to sell other maint. services, and only takes few minutes to take a few soil cores.Local ag service does full spectrum testing for $8.00 for us. Well worth the $$ to get a 1-3K maint. package. ;)
  10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure that you have it in writing which cut is free I tried this and you would not believe how many thought EVERY 5th cut was free! bunch of idiots. Tony