Add your tips on getting extra MPG. We could all use it.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jan 13, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I run electric fans, leaner peramiters on a handheld tuner, enough if not alittle extra tire pressure, cold air intake, and free flowing exhaust. With these mods I have picked quite a bit more power and went from 12 MPG to 16 MPG on a 1996 3/4 ton Chevy. If anyone else has some fuel saving ideas please tell.
  2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Change oils to synthetic multi grades. And I hope that is loaded MPG.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

X2 on the synthetic fluids, though you may a long time see your saving at the fuel pump. To upgrade to all synthetics can be expensive. Might pick up 1/2 mpg, but its better for the truck so...

16mpg out of 3/4 ton chev is really good unloaded. Cant imagine it gets that good loaded.

Best advise, keep your foot out of it. Its not a race, take your time getting up to speed.
  4. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

We put a throttle body spacer on our Chevy 6.0 motor and we noticed a small MPG increase.
  5. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Biggest change most of us can make using gas or diesel trucks is slower starts when loaded. Let the truck & tranny do the work, don't "jack rabbit" start because you are in a hurry.

With the diesels, if you can keep your RPM to 2,000 or less you will see a 1 to 1.5 mile per gallon increase. Diesel trucks are inefficient at higher RPM ranges
  6. GravelyNut

What would you say to a 1 ton hauling more than a ton in the bed getting 13-14 MPG in the mountains at 65/70 MPH with an 8.1L/496? And yes, that isn't a fluke. It regularly gets that kind of mileage on the highway. It likely would get even better if I ran Premium in it But not much from past experience.

As far as keeping the foot out of it, I agree within reason. You have to balance out how long it takes to get to speed vs how long you will stay in a lower gear. Up to 35 MPH most vehicles won't go into high gear if it has an OD tranny. 1 to 1 will kill your mileage if the vehicle has the OD available. Point at where the peak torque of the engine is, is where you want to go thru the gears at. Should be about 2500-3000 RPM in the lower gears depending on the engine.

Also add keeping it tuned to the list of ways to get better MPG.
  7. TheLandyman

TheLandyman LawnSite Member

how about tune ups, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, tire pressure, lube. pick up a manual for your vehicle and go through the maintenance section.
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

In-town cruising with an eye toward less braking is effective (and free) hurries when your loaded! :D

Accelerating or re-accelerating a mass requires added force...more fuel.

Dang, I remember gas for $.29/gallon...oh my.
  9. TheLandyman

TheLandyman LawnSite Member

also another one i just thought of, Seafoam you can use it for just about any engine, even your 2/4 stroke equipment, mowers, weed eaters, etc. i use it in all my vehicles and i noticed about a 2mpg increase in my 93 ford with a 351, i get about 13-14 mpg towing with 195k miles on it. also a lot more throttle response and it defiantly runs a lot smoother.
  10. GravelyNut

Yep. About 90 percent of rated HP is the point where it starts dropping. ( Need to find my Diesel engineering course book :( ). So if peak HP is at 3100 RPM, you never would want to hit that point to get the best out of it. That's why the tranny was set to shift at about 2500 with the 6.6 DM. Also at 100/kmh the 2001 DM was right at 1800 RPM. Smack on its peak torque point.

And in high gear on an Allison 5 speed, that 3100 RPM is getting you close to the tailshaft RPM limit of 4600 RPM. And no, you don't want to know how fast that really is. Besides, the speedo won't register that high. :D