Added a Striper & got no Stripes, what gives ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

Ok so after cutting the WET lawn down to 4' from roughly about 5 1/2" I see no stripes. I added the so-called striper (it looks like a thick wiper blade) from TORO for my NEW ZTR the Z453 48" Turbo Deck (stock blades) and all I seen after the cut where the wheel marks & NO stripes.

The funny thing is my JD ride on tractor w/ 42 Mulch deck left better stripes. Any opinions or ideas as to why the ZTR only left tire lines not stripes & I dont mean tire scalping on the wet ground just the tire lines.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you may not have had it adjusted correctly....

and or NOT all Grasses will stripe...

read the instructions that came with it. readjust and try again.....

Good luck

3. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

Hmm, I'll check the settings, I use to leave stripes with the other machine. Maybe its not low enough, the install sheet stated to set it a 1/2 below the deck !!

Thnx.

4. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you buy the stripe kit?

I get great results with mine.

Matt

5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally think rollers do better and the JD might have a nose roller on that mulch deck

6. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

You probably have the metal type roller right. Thats what I was told I was getting it turns out That it is not available for the 48" deck I had to get the rubber wiper blade type stripper. I bought it at the dealer when I got the ZTR 2 weeks ago. They actually installed it two.

7. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

1/2 inch lower than the deck to me seems like it would not be low enough to bend the grass over enough like it should. Try setting it lower if it will let you.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

There are quite a few good posts on striping. Its how you mow...not from a kit...lol

9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

If your mower doesn't stripe, there is nothing that you can do about it:confused:.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the machine and the conditions.

I feel like those striping flaps will just end up flicking the grass up behind them. Rollers are the way to go for the antiscalping quality as well as striping effect.