Added cost of removing waste?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 22, 2007.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I have always been able to leave grass, leaves, bundled up branches, etc. at each house. As long as it was neatly bagged, bundled, and not too heavy.

The city has changed rhese this year, and i have to take everything away to a pay dump site.

Is there a method you would use to determine the increase in price for houses that I must do this?

we cut weekly. If a house cost $20 a cut.... would you charge a percentage? a set fee?
    Its going to cost me about $9 a yd to dump. plus gas, tolls, time.

basically looking for a method you'd use, to come up with a fair increase.

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure your costs up and charge them or stop bagging the grass. Tell the customer you have to charge them to have it hauled away or they can haul it away themselves

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's where I'm at now. I am offering an option. Some have areas where i can dump.
    There are gray areas that make it alittle harder to figure out the costs, that really my problem. Grass shouldn't be as bad, but leaves will be a nightmare.

Say a $20 cut gets raised $10 a week now. it should balence out over the year, but I'm sure midsummer there will be some times when i get virtually no clippings. meaning... i expect some disputes.

4. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

one great way to leessen the volume of your waste is with a leaf loader. i have a little wonder 22hp that has a reduction ratio of 8-1, saves big time in the fall where, do the math, it reduces my tipping fees huge! might not be as effective for grass, but that's the cost of doing business, just pass it along like gas prices. anypone who complains (as long as your increase is reasonable) is a PITA you don't want anyway. IMHO....