Adding a 21 inch residential crew...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

i am currently in the works of outfitting a crew with a small flatbed truck that will have 2 honda mowers, a stihl trimmer, a stihl edger, and either a stihl or echo or craftsman blower. With a lot of marketing i am hoping this crew can be busy with a lot of lawns next year has anyone had experience with this side of the business? how did it work out for you?

2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmm, small residential yards don't yield much $$$. Outfitting a crew with equipment, truck, insurance, fuel, salaries etc... adds up to alot of $$$. Seems to me that you would have to have ALOT of residential yards to make this idea break even, much less be profitable. I could be wrong though, it might be a tereffic idea but I seriously doubt it.

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a crew that cuts yards the average of 3k sq ft. They use a 52 and 36 tthp. They knock out a whole lot more yards with that than they could with 21's

4. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

$4500 for small chevy s10, $1500 for custom trailerbed, already have 2 honda mowers, a stihl trimmer, backup trimmer, stihl edger, backup edger, and a blower that i will be able to put into use. i dont know about you but i think it shouldnt be too hard making $6000 off of this to break even....

5. K&L Landscaping

OK, I will assume the following to be true: You will have a 2 person crew that you will have to pay insurance (workman's comp.) and salaries. I can see that alone being $3000-$3500 monthly and that's paying them at poverty level. Fuel for them to be able and execute their route will be at least $600 monthly for mowers, trimmers, blowers, edgers and truck. I think if you look at the big picture you will have a minimum of $3600.00 monthly in overhead. So you need to have at least $8000 in monthly accounts for you to be profitable. Sorry, it isn't going to happen with a dedicated 21" crew. This is purely my opinion, I would like to see more people weigh in on this thread.

6. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It can be done, and is being done by many of us on here.
    8k gross and beyond is easily obtainable with 21's as mentioned in the above post, at least in my area.

Royal, for you the question is not if it can be done. It's....."Can YOU do it?"

As for Justmowit.....I would suggest focusing on the phrase JustDOit!

7. K&L Landscaping

Howard, please PM me on how these numbers are obtainable by running 2 21" push mowers. If this is setup as a legit business (license, taxes, insurance) I will say it is BS to the highest degree that you can make the numbers you claim. Maybe I'm missing something though.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the areas we service is city of Chicago lots that average 750 to 1k square feet. They are routed tight with the only drive time is to pick up and move down the block. These city stamps are tailor made for 21- inch mowers. 21-inch mowers on this type of city stamp properties are Very profitable.

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

K&L,

Thanks for the reply champ. If you will say it's BS to what you consider the "highest degree", than what motivation is it for me to PM you regarding my numbers? :)

Just because you cannot conceive it, doesn't mean it cannot be done.

Best wishes

10. K&L Landscaping

Come on Howard don't get your pretty little pink panties in a wad because I disagree with you. I'm just saying if you can make $$$ like that with 2 push mowers I've got 3 JD Z-Traks for sale and a few eXmark walkbehinds that I will let go cheap so I can start several 21" crews.