Adding a 21inch crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Jul 21, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I am thinking next year starting a crew with maybe 2 21s a handheld blower and line trimmer. This whould be for small lots or trailer park size lawns. I have lots of larger lawns that need the large mowers but would like to get some postage stamp in and out type lawns. I think there would be more $$$$$$$ in the small lawns. Bang out 10 small lawns for about 20 bucks each or 2 large lawns for say 45 bucks each?

2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

10 lawns for $20= $200.

Crew of 2 salary almost $200 per day.

Where does the profit come from?

Not trying to be ugly, just don't understand.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i kicked this idea around seriously for awhile. my conclusion= you can't have a 2 man crew, and make any money, with them using 21 ' mowers. in fact, i've decided you cannot make money using 21" mowers. i got a toro and honda 21" for sale. they are obsolete

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Someone should have told TJ that before he went and built his business. We could have saved him a lot of trouble. :D

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, good points.i was just thinking of it.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tj is using all mexican labor, none of which will ever become us citizens, and he's providing a low level service. he's also doing it in quantity. let's look at chef's idea. you'll need a truck, two 21"s, a couple of wackers, and a blower. going cheap- truck $2500. mowers- $800. wackers- $450. blower-$150. $3900 startup in equipment. you'll then need 2 idiots willing to slave behind these 21"s. with payroll/taxes/wc it should run you about $22 an hour. let's add insurence on the truck, and liability for the two hillbilly's when they break something. i'll lay 20-1 this crew folds before they get started

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

How about just running down to Walmart and picking up some electric string trimmers for $19.97. Use the customers power to avoid mixing 2 cycle. Two man crew should be able to do it for $20..... LOL

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

We Do well over 500 Residential Lots a Week All w/21"'s...

25-40 Lots a Day Per Crew in Subdivisions...These are All 1-2 Million Dollar Homes Sitting on 2-3k Lot Size Cut For $20-$25 @ 10-15 Min Each...

You Kids Living in the Boondoggles Don't Know What You're Missing.

TJ is 100 Times the Business Man than Any of You Scrubs. You Should Have Taken Notes When He Was Here.
    http://www.justmowit.com/Just Mowing Details.htm

9. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Disregard this....

I read up and that aint the way to do it.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

$20 X 500 Lots per week = $10,000.00 per week.

28 weeks per year cutting in your zone

$280K gross.

Somehow I am having a hard time buying into this based on pictures and threads you have posted here on lawnsite. Sorry. You just don't come across with that kind of experience to me.