1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding a 32 inch walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Oct 23, 2004.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Men, this is what this site if for! Im wanting to add a 32 inch walk-behind to my arsonal of grass cutting equipment. I have all ways used 21 inch self-propeled in the past, but would like to broaden my horizons by adding another 11 inches, (she'll like that!) Anyway, Im looking for one that can also bag the grass, I have to do that on some of my well fed lawns. I would really like some opinions on this subject. Thanks a lot!
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

depending on how much use you will be giving it, their is one from Havener Enterprises (www.bradleymowers.com) thats only 1,500.00 i believe, you can bag with it.

it is probably not the best machine for 50 hours of use per week, but otherwise it should be fine, check it out.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Advanced raised a good point. How many hours a week do you figure to use this mower? How long would you like it to last? How much work do you want it to be to operate the mower?

The Bradley looks like a decent mower, but it seems to me that someone is selling a similar machine with a single hydro drive rather than belt drives. The price might be a bit higher, though. That single hydro machine, however, Might be the Quick, which I do not think comes in a 32" deck. I believe Ferris makes a 32 with hydro drives and a floating deck.

You raise a question I'll have to answer sometime. My eXmark 36 is a belt drive and I'll never buy another. Next year, I'll get a bigger mower and the Metro will more or less sit around. When I replace the Metro, I'll go with either a 32" or a 36", but in any case, it'll have hydro drives and a floating deck. I'm fed up with the cutting height changes and "pistol grip tendinitis."

That means it'll cost more, of course, but I'm pretty sure these things pay for themselves.
  4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Have looked in to this also. We will be getting a hydro. That narrows it down some because many do not make a 32 or 36 in a hydro. JD no longer does, Gravely does not, Toro does with the T-Bar control, Ex-Mark with Pistol or ECS controls, and I did not try the Feris yet or the Lesco. The Ex-Mark has my vote so far.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought Exmark discontinued their 32"?? Anyhow, I'd be considering the Gravely 34Z. Just wish it was a 32" instead of a 34". But I have noticed that on my most narrow gate that there is about 2.5 or 3 inches to spare when unsing my Toro 32" wb.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out in business, I bought a 36" Toro to go with my 60" Dixie. It was the cat's meow at first because of the speed and power mowing those backyards with small gates. Then I bought a Lawn Boy for ditches and trim work. Soon the Toro got used less and less because I learned that mowing properties with unaccessable fenced backyards with a walkbehind mower was taking too much of my time when I could be mowing a wide-open property in less time and making more money.

Now the Toro has been sitting for a three years. It still runs fine and works well, but the Lawn Boy has won out. It is so much easier to get on and off the truck, takes up less floor space, and is about 75% as efficient as a 36" walkbehind mower.

Time has been the deciding factor for me. Speed and efficiency are foremost. For the few accounts that do have small gates, the Lawn Boy does the job in great time.

I do have to mention that I have the GoldPro model which has three speeds. And to make it even faster, I have increased the RPM's, so the ground speed is a very brisk walk. - almost a trot.
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I plan on getting a 32" walk behind as well..

I'm not sure what model to get?

Belt / Hydro - Whats' the difference?
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Check out the Toro 32's and 36's. They have the t-bar which will eliminate the pistol grip-itis! My Scag 48wb has the pistol grips and I would much rather have the Toro t-bar. Also hydro's can maneuver much better the the gear drives. But the gear drives are cheaper and easier to work on...IMO
  9. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a 32" Scag walk behind. I absolutely loved that mower. Cut like a dream and super powerful. The bad thing was it was a belt drive and it would beat the hell out of you. If you had a yard with a lot of obstacles, and tight turns, you were ready for a beer afterwards =).
  10. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you ever get a 32" over a 36"?