Adding a/c/heat & enclosed cab to ASV

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by itw, Jan 25, 2007.

1. itw

itw LawnSite Member

I have guy wanting to sell his ASV RC85 which is an open cab.
    I want enclosed cab with a/c heat and he says its no problem for dealer to add this. I can get his low hour machine for a good price just not sure about adding this option.(yes I'm going to call a dealer)
    Thanks in advance and this is a great site.

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

The Cab and heat shouldn't be too hard...but will still be in the thousands.

However, the AC will be quite expensive to add.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Chances are, it'll be $5-6K.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I bet that is a factory installed option only.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking the same thing, but I think aftermarket A/C units can be purchased seperately and installed. It will be expensive, though, but it can be done I believe. To me, it's not worth the cost. You're better off finding a machine with A/C and heat already installed or just deal with the fact that the machine is an open cab.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree a machine that come from the factory with heat and especially A/C is better than an aftermarket system. The resale will not hold as well and may even detract from its value depending on how and who installs the system. I just buy one that had those options from ASV.

7. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

I was in your shoes about one month ago. I was set on getting an ASV but wanted CAB & HEAT (but didn't need air).

Didn't get exact quotes, but 2 different dealers guessed at about $2K for the upgrade on an existing machine. Then I found an RC 60 /w cab/heat so my problem was solved.

It's nice to find one that already has cab&heat, but there aren't that many equipped that way, and even less with air. Also, from what I understand, the AC unit is some big honker that sticks out the top of the cab. You might want to think about clearances, etc.

Why not look at a CAT 247 or 257. They are more refined, with everything neatly in it's place. And prices for used are getting pretty good, now that there are more machines around? I own a Cat, and they are FINE Machines! Just a thought.

8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good freind that has 2 ASVs and both have factory A/C & Heat on closed cabs. The 2003 Machine has everything inside the unit, either under the seat on in the engine compartment. The 2005 Machine has an A/C condenser and blower on top of the cab, and yes they have knocked it off before. They plan on building a steel cage around it to help protect it form the dangers of the woods.

But the point is that both of these came with A/C & Heat installed form the factory. I would think that the Cab Top model would be easy to have installed by the dealer, and should not run any more than the cost of any other aftermarket unit.

9. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

Check with your local dealer, I know my New Holland dealer will do it I just need to order the NH parts. A little under 2k installed.
    George