Adding a Second Crew. What do you think I need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, May 22, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

What type of hand tools do you carry in your vehicle/trailer? I am looking to setup another truck for a second crew and I trying to figure out what I should put on it.(First time running 2 crews) I know in my truck I carry every tool that I would ever need in the field such as landscaping tools like shovels and rakes to mechanics tools like wrenches and drivers. The primary reasons I carry all of this stuff it to be able to do field repairs plus any extras that a client may request. I know that I shouldn’t expect my guys to do the level of repairs that I would do or do the extra stuff for my clients since I don’t want them to negotiate about pricing for additional work.

Here is the basic stuff that I have come up with so far.

Landscaping Equipment:
    Mower/Trimmer/Blower (Of course)
    Shovels (round and flat)
    Broom
    Metal Rake
    Steel Bow Rake

Mechanical Equipment:
    Basic socket set
    Basic Wrench Set
    Pliers
    Set of Screw Drives
    Hammer (Just Kidding. The last I want to do is worry about them pounding on some thing;) )

Spare Parts:
    Deck Belts
    Drive Belts
    Trimmer Heads
    Spare tire and rim (truck, trailer, and mower)
    Spare blades

I figure that should cover most of the basic stuff if they are going out to do a project or an install then we would put extra equipment on as needed back at the shop. I could easily go overboard with this so it is why I am asking you folks especially since I know that some of you have been at this a lot long than I have plus some of you run large or multiple crews. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

that looks like a pretty good list.

how about...

first aid kit
    bee/wasp spray
    tire iron
    spark plugs
    2 cycle oil
    fuel
    pull strap/come-a-long

3. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

fire extinguisher...

4. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Ive never run two crews before, but if I ever do this is what I would do. Let the crew your not with take the truck with everything so they would have it with them, then if you need something on your truck you could go to the store and pick it up.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Grease gun, 5 lb spool of trimmer line, spare trimmer, rope or some form of tie downs for whatever purpose may arise. Battery operated air pump. Ground blower for parking lots. Garbage can and possibly a few bags? Pinch bar. Duct tape.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I carry spare tires, and one of those jump starter things.

7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Cell phone to call YOU.

8. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

tow rope, no doubt. business cards, flyers, etc. 2 way motorola

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget patience and a big bottle of asprin! Good luck!

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

never leave without
    grease gun, two cycle oil, engie oil, spare belts, first aid kit, cell phone, and at least a couple 9/16 and 1/2 wrenches.