Adding a second trimmer.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Jun 2, 2005.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running a Stihl FS 85 for about a year now and I am getting sick of all the downtime I get when one of it's little parts breaks, and I am also getting sick of spending 1/2 an hour setting up gearbox attachments. I need to add a second trimmer. I love the Stihl product but I need a nearly identical one to use as a backup/2nd trimmer. I prefer to get another Stihl but I've never used any other brands and I am looking for input on the other trimmers similar to the Stihl FS 85. I am looking to buy within the next month or so. I need input on Redmax, Shindaiwa, Echo, and the new Stihls pretty much.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought my 2nd Toro in 3 years. Lightweight and run great.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why not just buy an FS 80 and swap the drive shaft for a solid driveshaft.
    It then becomes an FS 85...............

4. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I like Shindaiwa, but haven't used Redmax, no dealer. Echos are nice too.

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not in your list but should be -- TANAKA. The 230 is great, and at 10lbs!

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have numerous Stihl FS85's. In 6 yrs I've only had 2 days of shop time, and that was on 1 trimmer. Once for a $1 clutch spring after about 2000 hours and once for a new carb, the original was worn down to much to rebuilt. That one and all others have run continuously for years now.

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I ran Stihl trimmers while I worked for the school board, I find em too bulky for me, my Husky 323L is much nicer for my tastes. I've also found I like Shindaiwa, and Echo trimmers.

8. allenh60

allenh60 LawnSite Member

I always thought Echo was the best. But then again, I'm one of those type people that are like stuck on the one I've used longest or was trained on. Right now I can't even afford an echo so I am using a Ryobi with attatchments. So far it has'nt failed me.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a robin nb2050, it has a steel drive shaft and weighs in @ 8.5 pounds. I have 1 that is on its 3rd season full time and running strong

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say,...I don't know what all the down time is about...I've never heard of anyone having that much problem with Stihl. I run both Echo and Stihl equipment, and have no difficulties.You should always have two trimmers available, no matter WHAT other brand you decide on. One thing to consider however, is the fact that you already have Stihl, and you have attachments. Economically, it would be more practicle to go with another Stihl...this way you have access to your atttachments, as well.