1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding a second Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TnT, Mar 8, 2003.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

How much more productive will I be with add a second ztr to my trailer? I like to run 2 man crews. I am a small operation and my goal is buy 1 ztr each year and the years to come. Last year I could get all of my accounts done and serviced in 3.5 days. Looking to increase my accounts this year by 50%. Will I be able to use a 2 man crew and get accounts serviced in 5-6 days.

P.S. I usually worked 8-10 days.
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if you are doing all your accounts in 3.5 days and only working 8-10 hr days then adding 50% more should not need another Z. However if you are looking to still only work like 3 days then yes another Z will obviously help. Personally I would stay with less overhead and that means more profitpayup. If you are planning on adding a Z every year then you plan to get big in the business. I would go for more than 50% more cause with 2 Z's you can handle more than twice of what you have now. But coming from someone who is bigger I guess you could say I will tell you stay small. Do stuff that you and one other guy can do. Believe me you will live a much stressless and happier life.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I run a 3 man crew and used 2 ztrs last year. I found that adding a second ztr did not cut very much time at all over all over just one ZTR. Most of my properties have quite a bit of trimming and edging to be done. Because 2 guys were mowing only one guy was doing all of the trimming.....the two guys mowing would just have to finish help trimming after the mowing was done.....All in all I figured out we werent saving much time and the guy doing the trimming was doing way to much work by himself. I sold the second Zrt last fall and never missed it. All Situations are diffrent though...I guess it reallt depends on the type of properties you do. Hopfully what I said makes sense;)
  4. Husker1982

Evan I understand ya. What evan said is a good point. If you don't do jobs that would benifit then consider that. A rule I use and yes I made this up is what ever the time is it takes you to mow it is usually 1/4 that to trim. Blowing is usually 1/4 that of trimming. For instance if I can mow a lawn by myself in 20 minutes it will take 5 minutes to trim and 1.5 minutes to blow(I rounded). This is far from being accurate but is real good for most residentials. Maybe it will help you if you see kinda what Evan and I have said.
  5. quality

quality LawnSite Member

I think a second Z would be a good move we run a three man crew and run three Z. each guy has sections that he is in charge of mowing and trimming then help out the other guys. each lawn differs.:cool:
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I cut a lot of large HOA properties. I use2 ZTR's and 3 people. I do all the trimming and let the help use the ZTR's. I have one lawn that takes 8 man hours to cut. Three of us can cut it in 2.5 hours. I still charge them for 8 hours worth of work.
  7. Husker1982

Well bob you are still doing 8 hrs of work.
  8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Great Dane Super Surfer..it is the best of both worlds....very fast stand on machine 8.5 MPH plus very compact for great manuverability around trees, mulch beds etc.
  9. quality

quality LawnSite Member

hey bob you said you have two Zs and two guys. and you do the trimming do you mean on that job or all the time. :rolleyes: