1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding a shelf for mower?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snowjeep, Jan 25, 2009.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 14ft by 6.5ft trailer with a side gate. I put a 52" and 54" ztr on the trailer but only have room for my 21. So at the front I was going to put a shelf above the front wheels of 1 of the ztr's. Make a ramp to fold down to the side gate and put my 36" up there. Anyone do this or have recomendations?
  2. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

how tall will that be?
  3. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

It only needs to be 2ft tall to make everything fit.
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

It's possible. There is a guy here that has a shelf on the front of his trailer with 21" Snappers on it, on top of another row of 21" Snappers. To me though, I think it would be easier and safer to upgrade to a larger trailer.
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, 36's are as little as ~320lbs and up to 675lbs+... I didn't see the brand of your 36 in your list?
  6. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

I had a shelf on my first trailer for gas cans. Im with KS GRASSCUTTER on a bigger trailer, but not everybody is cofortable with pulling longer trailers. If you do a shelf be sure to make it so that you can strap everything down real good cuz if you get in a wreck you dont want things flying up to the cab of the truck. A cage with expanded steel on the front top and sides plus tie downs would be pretty safe.
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

check out the wreck link in my sig...i dont think i'd have anything that hezvy on a shelf...no telling what could happen.