Adding a shredding blade to leaf loader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Nov 17, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

As some of you know, Little Wonder came out with a new truck/leaf loader, and it has a unique feature of an added "Talon" shredding blade.

Has anyone thought about adding a shredding blade to their current loader?
    I know BHB had added something to his impeller blades, but my concern there would be balancing.

I like the idea LW has, with a separate small blade in front of the impeller. It looks like a Chinese throwing star if you're familiar with them.

I figure I could either just order a "Talon" blade from LW, or make something from scratch.

So, has anyone else done this, or at least thought about it?
    Anything to help reduce the volume and allow me to carry more would be a nice feature.

Thoughts?

2. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

While i was at the expo, I ask the Billy goat rep if I could put a shredder blade on my 16hp loader. He said i will cut down on the suction power. kane

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's probably because they don't offer one.

Have you seen the Talon on the Little Wonders? It's so small, I doubt it could have any effect on the suction.

To me as shredder blade just makes sense. I bet it may even cut down on clogging.

I look forward to hearing from the guys here that bought one of the new LW's. I know there were a few guys that got one. Hopefully they'll give reviews soon.

4. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

My hubby, aka "the mechanic", has plans on designing a shredder blade at the area where it directly goes into the box. I have a trac vac and am not impressed with the shredding 12:1 - NOT!

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

gogetter, I'm sure LW sells replacements. Why don't you see if you can make it work on your current loader? :cool:

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Mower babe, how would he work at that part of the system (going into the box)? What would drive it? It seems like it would make more sense to have it where the impeller is, since it's already there and already spinning, ya know? Unless I misunderstood your post.

Paponte, yeah, I'm thinking about it. I guess I just have to find out what the diameter of the hole is on the Talon, and see what the diameter is on the bolt that holds my impeller in. I wonder if there will be enough length on this bolt? Or if the Talon would make is stick out too far to fit into the housing correctly.

Ok, now I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the input.

Oh, just one more thought. On my cheap Crapsman handheld blower/vac it has a small metal blade in front of the plastic impeller. And this thing shreds stuff up into dust, no whole leaves left at all!
    Echo's shred-n-vac has the same thing, so does the Little Wonder/Mantis handheld blower/vac.

So this encourages me to believe that a shredder blade really does work and that it should be a standard on truck loaders.

7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

How about a seperate suction set up....kind of like a 5hp collection system for a ztr but made to hook up to a leaf loader ahead of the inlet but after the hose ?

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

A1, I hear ya, but that seems a bit excessive. Although I'm sure it would shred the he** out of leaves! LOL!

Anyway, do any LW owners know what the size of that Talon is (total width)? And maybe the size of the center hole?

And I wonder what the significance of the blades being bent forward is?

9. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Gogetter, I went through all the motions of your idea about 3 weeks ago, here's the scoop. Was thinking the same thing about mounting the talon to my trac vac unit, rather than the leaf loader, but the idea and answer will be the same. First of all, the talon is permanently welded to the impeller blade, so you cannot just order the talon. Second, the mechanic for the Little Wonder dealer here said the talon really doesn't shredd the leaves more. It basically is there to break down sticks and large clogs that occur when using your leaf loader as they enter the machine. He also said that the center does not spin fast enough like the outside of the impeller to do any good in reducing leaves further. These are his opinions to my quest on your exact thoughts.Though if you want to try one out, he suggested a local welding shop could easily make a chinese star like talon for you. I have a good friend who just bought one after using a Billy Goat loader for the past 6 years. He confirms that he notices no difference in shredding size compared to before, just now hardly any clogs.

Mike

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Mike. Now I can quit wondering about the idea, too.