1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding a zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rinker97, May 16, 2005.

1. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I'm adding some landscaping to an area of my yard that is currently grass. I'm going to relocate a rotor but was wondering how much it might cost to add a zone for the new lanscaping. My controller is a 12 zone and has 2 zones unused so I have room for it. I'm guessing they would put in about 8 spray heads to cover the area.

How much do you think it would cost me? I'm just looking to get an idea.

2. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

Nobody has a guesstimate for me? :cry:

3. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Rinker-----

Guess there hasn't been anybody from your area on this forum lately. Everyone's prices/estimates vary across the U.S. Kinda like askin', "how much to re-roof my house?".

Sight unseen......who knows? How extensive is the landscaping, where is the main for the sprinkler system in relation to the landscaping, so another valve could be added, where is the controller, so wiring can be run from the valve back to the controller, etc., etc.

Call a couple of irrigation companys in your area. I'll guess a few hundred $.

See ya--kerdog
  4. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Kerdog. I figured it was different across the country. Just was trying to get an initial idea before I called.

Just to get an idea of what will need to be done, a water line will need to be run from the main line as well as wiring? That's probably all in the front yard and this is in the back.

5. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Rinker97---

What I meant by the main line......is the irrigation system 'main' line, the one installed to supply the system, the one to each valve/zone. If you are wanting to add that valve/zone, then that 'main' has to be located, and a tee cut in, for supply for the new valve. Then...that valve, will have to have it's own wiring back to the controller, if you want the controller to operate it. It sounds like you have a zone in the back, so there may be a 'main' there, supplying that zone/valve. It depends, where IS that valve for the back yard located? Could be the main doesn't go into the back yard, if that valve, for the back yard, was on the side of the house, at the rear corner, like with one or two other valves. If you have all your valves grouped together, like a manifold, in a couple of different places in your yard......then more 'main' may have to be run, or add the valve at one of the 'manifolds', and supply your new zone from there. Depends, if you have preference, (or not), on where you want that new valve. Maybe the location of the controller might dictate where that new valve will go, so that getting it wired would be simpler.

So....that's where 'the sight unseen', can come from. Hope this helps in understanding what might be involved.

See ya----kerdog
  6. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

What kind of rough dimensions/squarefootage and elevation changes does it have? Can the lines be installed by a machine?
  7. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I just did a bid the other day to add a zone for landcaping. I have a three hundred minimum to have my machine on the job site. I figured six sprays , sixty feet of poly, one manifold,one valve,and using the existing valve box was just over five hundred.
  8. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

I do have a few valve boxes in the back yard so would I probably have a main back there too? I'm not sure about the wiring. Maybe they ran extra pairs to the back that could be used for the new zone.

Thanks for the input Flatbed.

Should I call for this zone to be done before I plant the area or after? What do the irrigation people prefer? I've just about got the sod up and will be adding soil and tilling before I plant.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Call now , get on their list .
  10. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

100 bucks a head.