Adding additional hose bibs to the back of the yard?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Gilla Gorilla, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that is looking for help or someone to take over on this project for his customer. Here is what the guy is looking for. He wants to additional hose bibs, one at each corner of his backyard each run will be approx. 200' from what I am told. What is the best material to use for this, pvc? We will get Miss Utility in and have the backyard marked for utilities of course. I have a 420 Dingo so I can rent a trencher attachment if needed, which I am imagining that it will be needed.

I am open to all opinions and suggestions on this.

Thanks

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I run pvc for those. Not sure on your pressure or soil conditions, use sch40 if you can. Then at the spicket you can run copper up from the ground if you want.

3. Gilla Gorilla

How deep do you lay the pipe and what size pipe in the ground?

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

THe depth would depend on if you are going to use it in the winter or not. If you plan on not using it during the winter and have a way of shutting it off the 1 foot should be plenty. If it was me I would go atleast 18".

3/4" or 1" PVC would be plenty for just a hose spigot.

5. Gilla Gorilla

It will not be used in the winter as far as I know. I found out a little while ago that the hose bib on the house is in the middle of the house in the back. So I was thinking about making a upside down T from the house. Coming out with one line 200' then teeing off to each corner of the property, I am imagining that he would not want to run sprinklers at the same time off the two new bibs in the corners.

Thanks again

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

What type of pipe is on this hose bibb at the back of the house and what size? Depending on how the house was built you most likely have 1/2" or 3/4" pipe to this hose bibb. In some rare occasions I've seen the rear hose bibb off of 1" pipe.

You can tee into this bibb with galvanized or copper depending on what the present material is. I'd hardpipe it until it's under ground as a hedge against instability. Then run SCH 40 PVC pipe (12"-18" deep) to the locations where the new bibbs will be installed. I'd hardpipe the pipe coming out of the ground to the new hose bibbs for stability also.

Your buddy will not be able to run more than one of the back yard hose bibbs at a time unless he's using very little water because they all come off the same source at the same place.

7. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Instead of using an above ground hose bid you can get a Carson box and bury it in the ground and it has a lid with a opening that you can use either a quick disconnect hose or a regular hose connection.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to think about using frost proof yard hydrants and keeping your connection and piping below the freeze line. Hooking into an existing hose bib will severely limit the volume and flow to any additional outlets.

Kirk

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you put one of the Carson boxes in the ground wouldn't you need a backflow preventer?

10. Gilla Gorilla

Using galvanized or copper pipe coming out of the ground makes sense to me. I also thought about driving a piece of 1 1/2" fence pipe into the ground and securing the new water line to the bigger pipe or maybe using a pressure treated 4x4 instead, how does that sound. The other concern that I had was it should need to be winterized like blown out at the end of the season, rite? I was thinking that it would be easiest to do this If I were to use a Y connection at the original hose bib at the house then just run a piece of 1' flexible hose to the new galvanized pipe coming out of the ground. How does this seem or do you guys have any other better suggestions for this.