Adding bacteria.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by tadpole, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

The topic of Spring clean-outs was batted around on a separate thread. It brought this question to mind.

Do you distinguished Northern gentlemen add bacteria to the pond after clean-outs? If so, do you use liquid or dried? Is there a special reason you use that particular form? And yes, this is a loaded question.

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Liquid on initial start ups and cleanouts. Since I don't use a powerwasher or do a steril cleaning it's not really necessary (to a point) in my opinion, but I still add some bacteria to jump start the bacteria growth. What's your theory?

3. tadpole

You use liquid, right, Keith? Why do you use liquid instead of dried?

Would like to hear from more of you guys. I know somebody is reading this thread. Post an answer.

4. Pondmeister

Pondmeister LawnSite Member

Ok I'll bite....:laugh:

We use liquid because we got tired of having to sit and watch the dry guys belly up to the wet bar :drinkup:

5. tadpole

Not a trick question. No punch line. It is a legitimate question. I am curious to see how many contractors know the difference between the two forms besides the obvious physical difference.

6. Pondmeister

Pondmeister LawnSite Member

I imagine everyone who has been around a couple of years:confused: used the Dry form because that was the only one available.

It wasn't until later I found out there was only a couple of Manufacturers who made all the brands...oh, the private label game.:nono:

In some of my reading, the count is lower in the dry form.

As far as my experience, used dry then liquid, of which I will stay with. I have experimented with two different brands. Aqua-One and Great Lakes Biosystems.

My results show hands down GLB works the best for me, using bacteria with enzymes.

Tad have you used enzymes?

7. tadpole

OK, the score at this point is:

Liquid - 2 Dry - 0

Let's hear from others.

I am going to remain mute until more responses are posted.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I use liquid because it is suggested to be faster acting for bacteria to be active so to speak.

My problem is how do you really know either liquid or dry bacteria is working without a lab test?

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Like I mentioned earlier, not much pond experience, but a basic understanding of biology.

To me it would make sense that the liquid works better because... wouldn't the dry need bacteria that are in spore form (IE more dormant so to speak)?

10. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Well I guess ill add my two cents.. Actually they are two different types of bacteria. The liquid formula actually treats for amnonia. The dry formula treats for organics such as leaves, poop, pine needles etc. Is this what you were trying to get people to think bout tad?lol..
    Posted via Mobile Device