adding crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hey, I ve been in the buisness 5 years and I want to know how I would go about getting a 1 or 2 man crew going on all of the lawns I have, and me starting over with more lawns. Also how would I insure my equipment from damage since they would be using it, I will soon have an Exmark HP, already have honda commercial push, stihl trimmer and blower and accseories.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you will spend most of your time fixing mistakes and dealing with customers who like to see your smile. You will not have much time to start yourself a new route. Trust me. I went back to being solo and the stress is so much less. The net profit percentage is better than before also.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, spend your time with your new helpers for a good long while. Only you can tell when or if they are able to be trusted with your equipment and customers properties. My best advise to you is to look for someone with the qualities to be a crew leader (GOOD LUCK), pay him or her accordingly and make him or her responsable for quality, productivity and accountability for everything related to running HIS or HER crew.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

You should definitely have a commercial insurance policy now. Get yourself protected, through no fault of your own, someone could get hurt, and you lose everything.

When I was 16, had a trailer break lose when the hitch on jeep rusted off. Lost all equipment, had to start over. Dad's homeowner didn't cover a thing.
    Lesson learned the hard way.

5. Mortymower

How much will that run me? And I was just talking about how can I be sure my employee/s wont take off wiht my equipment if I'm not there?

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If I was you, I'd first add on a helper to work with you. Then if you can trust them to do a good job, give them their own route later on while you take on new clients. Kind of risky to just hire someone off the street and turn them loose without any supervision.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am going to try to start another crew. My future crew leader just got his 4 year degree and is very responsible. I am going to pay him 33% gross of whatever his crew makes. Maybe I am an idiot for paying that much, but the incentive to do the job right is definately there. I am also going to pay him a months revenue for whatever annual accounts he that he earns. I think you just have to try something. Solo is not where the money is. Some companies are doing it right. Ya just gotta figure it out.

After rereading your post. I dont think you are ready for a another crew. Before you get another crew, I would think the first crew needs to be grossing at least 100k. And if you are scared of the person running off w/ your equipment.... that should not even be a concern. That kind of person would get fired the first day w/ me.

8. Mortymower

Thanks for the info so far, but when I said adding a crew, I meant this would be my first crew, right now I'm solo. Also, how many yards would be a good number to start a first crew with? THANKS!!!!

9. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

Yeah, great question! That has to be a big jump, in a lot of ways...with-holding, insurance, risk of employee damaging/stealing/sabotaging equipment whether on purpose or not, etc. Your control of quality goes down anytime you either aren't there, or just plain having a helper perhaps, and not all done by you. I wonder about this issue too. Solo seems so much simpler, but a little pencil pushin' shows how you could do much better if you can get a crew/crews out there ringing up billable hours. Seems like when you get just barely too busy for just yourself, that's not quite enough for a crew, it's a risky time adding the first employees I'm sure.

Kapt_K

10. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Mortymower

PostsTotal Posts: 9 (0.95 posts per day)

Your Age:
    Years in business:

I think graduating from middle school and getting a drivers liscense would be a good start to a succesful career in the Green Industry