Adding due date, how do I word it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JHLC, Dec 22, 2004.

1. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I currently don't have a due date on my invoices. Some people are starting to take advantage of that so I am going to start in January and I don't know how to word the letter I am going to send out. I want to say it without making people mad or offending anyone. Any suggestions?
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

What are you using to bill with? Quickbooks will put that in there for you.
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I already have a due date, but if your writing a letter, maybe something like this?

Starting on January 2nd 2005, JHLC will have a due date on all invoices, that must be paid by the date stated on the invoice, if not paid by the due date there is a $10 late fee for the first 3 days past due, and $30 each week after the 3 days. Here at JHLC need to inforce this due to unpaid dues in certain cases. If for any reason you can not make payment by the due date stated on the invoice, please call us at ____ and we can talk it over and see how we can make the best of this. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
  4. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

Thanks PremierLandscaping, thats exactly what I was looking for. :)
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter what you put in contract they will ignor it UNTIL you either hit them with a shovel(bobby way) or take them to court. People have gotten used to paying the minimum, not the whole amount.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Payment must be recived by such&such date or a late fee of ( up to you) will apply.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Pay Up ON TIME!

8. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Premier says it best above....we use similiar vergage.

Keep in mind that most state laws require a minimum of 14 days from the postmark date to the due date on the invoice....
  9. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I put "Due Upon Receipt" on my invoices. I seem to get paid much faster.

10. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely !

Unless they ask for different terms, ' Due Upon Receipt