Adding Elec Start to 17hp Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Feb 28, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever tried to add electric start to a 17hp Kaw before? Any idea what is involved?
  2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I have done it on a tecumseh, but haven't stuck one on my 17hp kawasaki yet. On the tecumseh it was the same starter as what you would find on a briggs etc., but this was only an 8hp engine. Kawi may need a different one. With the wiring you just use a 12v lawn battery, an automotive relay, and mount a pushbutton switch or a key starter somewhere.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

oh yea, and wires
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Coastal, have you made the conversion yet? If so, what parts were involved? I've done some research and have all the part numbers (I think :) ) that I need to do this with my 15 kawi. I've got most of the items already installed on the engine except a battery, starter, solenoid, and a voltage regulator. I'm thinkin it should run around $170 with all the parts.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its cheaper to just buy a new engine. The manual start engines dont have a flywheel with a ring gear on it. After you buy that and a starter, you are at almost half the cost of a new engine.
  6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

do you really need a starter on a 17hp engine. especially a kawi. in the dead of winter they start on the first or second pull.
  7. dwost

Posts: 1,666, there is really no need for it, however, I'm always tinkering with things I figured I'd look into the conversion just for the hell of it :) Do I really need a commercial walk behind for my own yard?.........Well no, but I have one :D
  8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Having electric start is the most important, and most underrated, option of them all.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In addition to the ring gear flywheel you will also need the stator assembly plus the wiring, battery and all of those other things already mentioned. Probably run in the neighborhood of 500 plus dollars to do it right.
  10. dwost

Yeah, I priced out the flywheel and that alone will add another 120 or so. Looks like I'm in the 300 range for all the parts.