1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

adding Elec start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by I.M. Green, Oct 20, 2008.

1. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

How hard and what all do you need in order to add an electric start in place of a pull start? Maybe its not worth it?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

your best bet is to pm restrorob. he can tell you exactly how to do it and how much it will cost. goodluck.

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

looked into it, I have a feeling it will be cost prohibitive. There are MANY parts needed to do the conversion. I looked at doing this on a Kawi but like I said I was $300 deep and still wasn't finished sourcing parts.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Possible new flywheel. New starter. New wire harness. New battery.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Flywheel, stator, regulator, starter, battery, battery box, wiring harness and key switch should do it. You may also have to get new safety switches.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

not trying to be negative but if you were really currious i think you would have at least told us if this is for a trimmer or a walkbehind. and if its for a walkbehind what kind of engine and what size? in the end, it will probably cost much more than its worth.

7. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on it, I did some research and its just not worth it. I decided to buy a slightly used machine with electric start.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

seems like a good plan but i would imagine it is pretty expensive