Adding electric start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Guthrie&Co, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I am looking to add an electric start to my kaw 12.5. where can i get such a kit to install?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is no kit and it really is prohibitively expensive to add it from parts. Your best bet is to find an old mower that has electric start and take the parts off of that one.

You'll need:

Key switch, wiring harness, battery and battery box or tray, tap and die set, starter and cables, the correct flywheel, stator (it makes electricity to charge the battery) and the voltage regulator.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And if you do a lot of starts they are high maintenance/repair. Why do you need electric start on the little Kaw, they seem to start easy for us?

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem getting my fb460 to start. First or second pull everytime! :) Definitly going to add a lot of maintnence to put an electric start on it!:realmad:

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Why bother, it's just an added expense you don't need.:cool:

6. Guthrie&Co

from nc

WEll mine for some reason is very cold natured. i didnt know i could put a hotter plug in the engine. i will try that before i go though the added expense

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Not only the added expense but I bet you will burn the battery the majority of times.

kc

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what weight oil you run but 10-30w makes them Kaw's easier to pull and you may check your choke linkage to make sure it is closing fully via the cable control.

9. Guthrie&Co

from nc

I am running castrol 30 wt. warranty calls for this oil and the service center recomends this. may not be the best but if the damn thing blows up i dont want them saying" its was the oil"