1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

adding employee ratio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 30, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

adding employees .how many accounts b4 you add a employee.i see a lot of crews that use 4 guys to cut a 100 acounts 4 days a week.so does that equate every 25 accounts that are makeing you bare minium of 30.00 a cut. add a employee .im still solo once in a while my cuz helps which is good enough for now,but how many acounts justifys adding a employee.i maintain 6,000 to 10,000 sq ft lawns .How about adding a truck on a second route.
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow a little better than 200 accounts per week. Small lawns 2 man crew most lawns 2500 -7000 sq. ft. Med to large lawns 7000 - 60000 sq ft 3 man crew. 5 men 200 lawns. avg 45 hours early spring 35 hrs in heat of summer per man per week. Cross the board avg approx $6K/wk for the maint.
    Small crew 1 - 21", 1 - 32", 1 - 36", 1 - 48" Stander 2 trimmers, 1 edger, 2 back packs
    Large crew 1 -21", 1 - 36", 1 - 48" stander, 1 - 52" rider w/ Peco Vac, 2 trimmers, 1 - edger, 2 back packs
    For days if we're behind, run optional third crew w/ 1 - 48", 1 52", 1 edger, 2 trimmers, 2 backpacks - otherwise this crew mulches, prunes, ladscapes and does all odds/ends
    1 man ferts approx 180 accounts 6 basic visits, plus fung, grub, aeration, renovation, etc...

3. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

The # of accounts isn't important. I knew I needed to hire my first employee when I had more work to do than I could handle by myself. I first hired a guy part time for about 20 hours per week. On top of the 50 hours that I put in everything could get done. Eventually I went to 1 full timer and have continued to add employees(part and full time) as needed. I do a lot of the same size places as you do and I added my first part timer at about 35 accounts. I set it up to mow all the places in 3 days with my part timer and then did my misc other jobs for my customers on the other days. I hope this helps.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to look at it this way .... using your own personal hourly rate ..... what your charge will change the weekly income .....but lets say it is $35 per hour

1 guy should be able to produce $1400 of weekly income (based on a 40 hr week .....work more ....you make more) so 2 guys at 40 hrs should be producing $2800 weekly ....n so on ....

you will notice on multiple crews or large single crews ....numbers will vary depending on the efficency of the equipment n workers

I should add that other numbers come into play when adding more workers ...(long as the work supports them) .... is that even thou direct n indirect cost rise .... most overhead cost remain the same ... n the added crews help off-set this overall cost ..... as they spread this montly expense out with added revenues .... thus adding more to the bottom line $
  5. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

have two crews, maintan between 130-200 accounts weekly, 65-100 per crew, all depending on size biggest variable, not many lots over 10,000 sqf. maybe 12 over and have some that are a lot over but hit the average of 100 per crew, or size equivalance and a nother crew is started hoping to start the third by the middle of this summer and next year i will buy a ZTR
    AK Lawn