Adding extra anti-scalp rollers to WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jones, Jun 7, 2001.

1. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

I am thinking of welding anti-scalp rollers to the front and sides of my 36 WB. Lots of bumpy lawns and scraping as is. WB currently only has rollers in the back. We have to cut short 2" because grass grows very fast right now and we're on 7 day cycle. Any one see a problem with this on a 36 deck?
    Also I read a post that grass grows slower when cut higher. We cut early week lawns short so they still look good for weekend. As far as I know raising height will not slow growth.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Exmark 36". The anti-scalp wheel is in the back too. What is the point of that? I think it would be the same as a fixed deck. I would try to put rollers on. If your succesful with it email me and tell me how you did it. Thanks
  3. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Would bolting rollers into the deck instead of welding affect deck integrity. It's an Exmark Tri-vantage deck, and would need bolts in front and side.
  4. jontom

jontom LawnSite Member

I traded an exmark 36" metro for an exmark 36" metro hp last month and noticed that the pictures in the catalogs and on the internet all have anti-scalp rollers on the decks. Well, when my new mower arrived, it had only one roller on it and it is on the back of the deck. I e-mailed exmark about this and they replied that the front caster wheels are so close to the deck that the rollers are not needed. I disagree and will have some welding done to prevent the deck from scalping and coming to a scretching hault. The new mower has a 15hp kaw and it is a super fine piece of equipment.
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I've always like the anti scalp rollers on our Toros. Two on th e sides and two out front. Who knows the Exmark decks may soon incorparate some of these features.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could weld some of those catser swivel wheels to it! By the way, grass does grow slower when it''s taller as opposed to when it's shorter.
  7. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Vibe Ray,
    Is this a known fact or your opinion? I allways thought it grew faster when you cut long.
  8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

jontom (sorry not jones..*originally had jones*) those pictures that you saw were of the 48" deck....
  9. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

That was Jontom, I saw the deck in the showroom and asked why there were not AS roller on front or side. Dealer didn't know. I e-mailed Exmark today and they said put them on and let them know how it works. Can't believe deck doesn't have one in front. Exmark didn't answer on whether bolting into deck would affect deck integrity. Less permanent than welding if it doesn't work out.
  10. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Why not raise your cutting height first? We started out this spring at 2" and are now at 2 1/2" figuring that maybe this year we'll get a dry summer (unlike last year).

I haven't used an Exmark 36" but we've had Ransome 36's for years and they don't need scalp rollers. We also have a 54" Ransome that we did add rollers to (welded on all four corners). It was scalping because of the width of the deck.