adding home improvements

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have access to a company that does home improvements. he does everything from plumbing, to aluminum siding,painting, etc etc etc. i'm thinking about advertising this service to my exsisting customer base, for a very large piece of the pie. i know the guy does top quality work, and is insured. my logic is.....i have a client base, that i know uses services such as lawn care (of course), interior cleaning, as well as painters, roofers, and any other interior needs, so why not solicit these services to them? any drawbacks to this? opinions?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby you could act as an agent for the guy. Any jobs which he receives as a result from your reference could be paid on a commission basis to you.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

i don't want a commision, i want to be an active participant, and get a large %

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i've considered this several times, but i fear it will take away from the landscape image as my "thing". like, if i was going to be bidding a job, would they question landscape as my specialty..?

decks can be weaved in, but plumbing, etc. i wouldn't think so.

but hell, if it puts money in your pocket, by all means do it. money for doing nothing.. good deal.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BooBy

I suggest you start by having him install indoor plumbing in your own house.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto ^^^^ Can't be a jack of all trades, it will give the wrong impression to your customers. But could you not get a vendors lisc. in your wifes name and make her owner of a "new" co. that offers these services. She would be acting as a broker/ partner in the new venture and since you would already know about who needs the services just run the idea to your customers through your wifes name first. If they don't bite on that offer let your buddy give them a price and take a % for a finders fee. 2 bites of the pie!

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The first sign of a LCO not making it is trying to branch outside the lawn industry. Large piece of the pie for you is a free mullet styling at the local beauty saloon and six pack of beer. :D

8. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

After reading a few responses here, I will ake the other side....

If you don't market it as a major part of your business, I don't believe you will suffer from the appearance of too much diversity. I don't think "Bobbys Building Services" on a billboard will do well for your lawn business, but subtle hints to existing customers might offer some additional income for you. How you go about this would be important, but carrying a sawzall on your hip while your riding a Z might be a bad idea.

A lot of people like one stop shopping--if they didn't there wouldn't be malls or dept stores. So ther idea that the business model can't work is pure foolishness. Home depot specializes in nothing but sells billions.

One other thing to add is that residual work from handyman type services goes on all winter...if you're in a cold state, then extra income would have to be balanced against the loss of lawncare if you appear to be a jack of all trades. How much do you make in the winter time for sitting on your azz now???????

Either way, good luck.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

"making it?" what exactly is "making it" in your pitiful eyes? 50, 60, 70? 100? i am reaching a bit higher than the ground, thank you.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I did notice your signature is gone :rolleyes:
    Then again, so is mine.