Adding lime after soil test.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by NJgunner, Apr 17, 2012.

1. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

I have kentucky bluegrass and my soil test came back low PH (5.2)
    I was given 5 50lb bags of dolemite lime and told to apply all 5 bags to my lawn. I have 5k sq feet, I wanted to put it down to be watered in tomorrow my local shop is closed but does 125lbs seem right? I thought he said put down 25 but maybe he said 125

2. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it at a 25lb / 1000 sq ft rate, 2-3 times a year over the next 2-3 years. Just do a soil test each year to make sure your headed the right way but not over. So, on 5k lawn that would be 125 lbs.

3. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

ok so 5 bags at once is correct then? yes I was advised to do another application in the fall when I aerate. I now do a soil test each year thanks...I had it dethatched for the first time last fall but always get it aerated..only problem i have to try and tackle is some sandy compacted aeras I have to topdress it

4. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good! you should start seeing some really good green color come around with the hydrogen getting loosened up - I'm sure it's pretty high

5. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

If H is for Hydrogen it says 52.7 on the test....grass looks good already after hitting it with some dimension 24...biggest problem is disease/humidity around july/aug...gets very humid in NJ. Heres a pic of what it looks like now...I also think I have to cut it higher I measured 3" from ground to blade on my mower i think im going to use the highest setting.

[​IMG]

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Heat and humidity particularly warm humid nights promote fungus disease. A tall fence all around reduces air circulation--temps and humidity can go higher--not good.

Most Kentucky bluegrass is blended with perennial ryegrass--so you probably have both.

Dollarspot, red thread, brown patch and gray leaf spot are the main diseases in your area.

I suggest half the lime now--half in the fall.