1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

adding milorganite to lawn care program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mac43rn, Dec 17, 2002.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I am going to add milorganite to my lawn program, but I am going to experiment with my own lawn. I am going to stick with a four step program and then add the milorganite to add some organic matter. It looks like it would be a great addition in the summer months (I have an irrigation system). Can anyone who has had experience with milorganite give me any suggestions on when to apply. I do not want to go 100% organic, but would like to add some organic to the program. Any suggesitons would be greatly appreciated.

2. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

I have found it works well as an early spring app. at the 20lbs. per k rate. you can cut your spring and early summer rate of fert waydown.
    it really won't do much in the summer, you'll see the results in the fall. you can do the app in august without burning and the lawns greens-up nice wiht the fall rains.

A nice summer app is seaweed. you can really see the improvement. one app b4 7-4 and one app 8-15. we have used it for years.

Harmony has gran products with seaweed and other goodies for summer apps.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

What is it and what is it good for.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Milwaukee Wi. Is known for many things. Beer being the most well known. Polish Immigrates being another. Milwaukee has always been a progressive town. Near the turn of the century they recycled by burned their garbage and sent steam heat thru pipes to heat homes. To this day they still recycle. Only they recycle their sewage. Mil (Milwaukee) organite (organic) Fertilizer. Or to its friends good old Pole-Lock PooP. Great stuff for horticulture, DON'T use it in your garden. You won't like the taste of your tomatoes.
  5. gkell88

gkell88 LawnSite Member

Handling the bulk of Milorganite can be a pain. Be careful incorporating too many apps in your business. It takes a lot of room in the truck to do a day of Milorg. apps

A strong back wont hurt either.;)
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Any natural organic fertilizer will involve a lot more material being applied as the most N content you can really hope for is about 12:?:? There are however some "spiked" fertilizers which are natural organics which have synthetic organics, or salts put in there so that you don't have to put down as much.
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We have used Milorganite for over 50 yrs. It is without a doubt the best fertilizer there is. It has drawbacks, bulk being the worst. I have used over 100 tons a year for the last 25 yrs. I would say that while it time consuming and labor intensive it will reward you with grass like none you have ever seen. Good luck with your decision.
  8. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

sent you an email.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any side effects of using this such as fungus?
  10. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Would you elaborate on the synthetic & salts please, thank you. With Regards.... devildog