Adding on fnders fee

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ocutter, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

When adding this to a bid , do I list separately (subs bid then my fee) or add to total. I am having a sub do some tree work on a comm. account. His bid was 3300.00. I was going to add my 20% to make it 3900.00. I have already given the customer my est for the landscaping.
  2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't let your customer know how much your making because the net time you have to do a job for them they will be looking up the cost of things.Always good not to reveal your hand so to speak.
  3. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

I can only tell you what I would do. First of all, if you are subing out work you are the general contractor. Being the G.C. you are responsible for the bid so when you submit the bid to the customer you should have already included your fee. If you add your fee after you submit the subs bid would probably ruffle some feathers. Always submit the bid as a whole. Adds-ons come when the customer decides to change something. Need any more help please feel free to ask.
  4. PRapoza451

PRapoza451 LawnSite Member

Then submit your bid for the tree work $3900.00. This is what you need to get the tree work done right? Never give the two prices separately. My customers want to know what the bottom line is. Yours probably do too. Business people understand you need to make money (profit) on your time. Some people think it's "just a phone call" what the hell are you charging me $600 for? But we know better. Because when the customer is not happy with the job who do you think they are going to hold responsible? Who do you think they are going to call? We sub out tree work and I always mark the trees with red tape (removals) or green tape (prune) with the client then call my sub to come by and look at the job then give me their estimate which I markup, I’ve done one site visit sometimes I do one while the job is in progress, depending on the size of the job, and I do one after to make sure the client is satisfied and that the sub has done what I've asked them to do. That sounds like work to me. Get paid for your expertise.
  5. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I decided after posting this that I wasgoing to submit the bid as a whole but a little less since I'll be there doing the landscaping any way.
  6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Why do you think that you will lose the job because of your bid? We tack on 15%- 20% all the time, sometimes more you have to make money off your subs other wise you are trading $ and I'm not in the business of trading $. think of the paper work and your time.
  7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Paul is right you have to go thru all the motions of getting everything don and your still resposable for your sub.Unless your doing a very big job or your friends of thiers keep your rates like Paul said never go less .just think if they have you come back to do more work they will be expexting that same price rage all customers are the same when it comes to $$.