1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding One Rotor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DavidR, Nov 15, 2007.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Is it possible to add one rotor to a zone? I have a system with 8 zones. Most of these zones have 4 rotors although a few have 3. I would like to add one rotor to a zone that has 3 rotors on it.

Can this be done and is it something that I, a homeowner, could do? I'm thinking I could just tap into the end of the line and dig a trench (would only need to be 6 ft or so) then add a rotor. Is it this simple or is their more to it or something I'm missing?
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Is is that simple, kind of. It all depends on your available pressure and gpm available. It would help to know what size valve, and what the static water pressure is. And what gpm nozzles you have currently.
  3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Hmm...I can answer some of these questions. Would the valve size be the same size as the pipe that runs throughout the yard? It is 3/4" I believe. I can tell you that I use I-20's, that I know for sure. Haven't yet checked the static pressure...planned on doing that after I found out if this is something I could even do.

I wasn't thinking it would be a problem since most of my zones run 4 rotors and this one only runs 3. Does this seem logical?
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If all the zones were set up the same (valve size and lateral pipe size) and you have no significant elevation change or other factors effecting the flow of water, then you should have no problem adding one head to the light zone, assuming the other zone works ok.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you are unsure of the GPM, pressure, etc. of the system or zones, here is one possible way to try and see if there is enough water and pressure. Turn the zone on, and while the heads are spraying, try pushing down on them. If there is a lot of resistance, then more than likely you can add one. If it's real easy to push down, then no, don't add one.