1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding screenings to base...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mcclureandson, Apr 5, 2008.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Had 20 tons of crusher-run dropped for a patio base...showed up to find it had a much smaller percentage of small particles than normal. It definitely wasn't clean stone and hauling sub confirmed they loaded crusher run instead of drainage rock or other washed gravel.

I suppose technically it was what I ordered - but without a good percentage of fines it won't compact as well.

I'm wondering if I could lay this in lifts as usual and for the portions needing fines add some screenings as I go along...or could I add some angular/concrete sand in the same manner to provide smaller particles for better compaction?
  2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we had this problem last year. are supplier got a load of base in that had next to no fines in it. we added a percentage of stone dust to the base stone and it tightened up a lot better.
  3. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Thanks - I was planning on adding some dust. Also, what issues would arise from adding angular sand? Wouldn't that tighten the compaction as well? Just curious.