Adding side door to dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLLandscape, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever have a side door added to your dump trailer? If so just wondering what that cost you to have done.

Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need a side door? It would take away from the structure of the sides
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PLLandscape

To be able to have say finish materials in the back end (mulch, soil, etc,...) and spoils in the front. Don't have a machine for loading. Maybe put the money there. Hmmm

Also the dumps that have factory removable or fold down sides must not affect anything?? It would all be reinforced I'm sure. I'd pay a professional firm to do this not a backyard welder.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually seems pretty simple. The sides of most dump trailers don't seem to have any big structural purpose. I would cut the door, weld on hinges and a latching system for it. 2-4 hours and I believe you would be in business.
    Good luck with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PLLandscape

Quote for a local fabrication company to build the door.

$2500

I mean I like to charge a lot but that's 1/3 the price of the trailer new. For that kind of cash I can get a dump insert on the truck or a really used dump truck.

6. PLLandscape

This is the example of what I looked to have done. My trailer is not a PJ but has very similar side wall construction.

dump-side-gate-1.jpg

dump-side-gate-2.jpg

7. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If looks don't matter too much, why not cutout a section with an angle grinder, drill some holes, bolt on some heavy duty hinges (I'm thinking along the bottom so the door opens outward & downward), and then bolt on a slide action latch on both sides at the top, then prime and paint…A couple of hours and a few bucks and you're done.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Or cut it out and weld in board pockets. Even simpler

9. PLLandscape

Looks and function matter A LOT. If I want to sell this trailer someday I don't want it to be some chopped up mess. Not do I want to look like some hack job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PLLandscape

Interesting and not a bad idea. Still would like a door.

I have a few other possible sources for help with this that hopefully would be significantly cheaper or even trade for work.
    Posted via Mobile Device