1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adding Sides on truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kylefiroe90, Apr 2, 2009.

1. kylefiroe90

kylefiroe90 LawnSite Member

Alrite so im kinda runnin out of room in my truck bed and i need some ideas. I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 ext cab regular bed with a tool box. Im thinking about taking my tool box out and making some sides built up to the heigth of the cab with some 2x6 running horizontal and 2x4 attached vertically holding them together. Then painting the wood black to match the truck and putting my logo and business name down the sides. Theres a guy here on lawnsite Trudeau Landscaping or Redmax Man he has a dump insert with sides. I dont want the dump just the sides. He has the sides just like what i want. How you guys think it would look? Any clue on how to attach it to the truck?
  2. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks good, very professional with the lettering. I made some sides for my friends chevy 1500 that we use for work. They definately save time. I actually built a box that comes on and off in a few minutes. I will get some pics up for you, I am in the process of changing it a bit. I'll explain how it attaches to the truck once I get the pics up.
  3. kylefiroe90

Hmm...Uve got me thinking lol. Ya post them pics up asap lol im anxious to see how other people have done it.
  4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I need sides as well, but I have a toolbox that I can't take off. Which means my truck is gonna look funky with sides that aren't full bed-length.
  5. kylefiroe90

oh damn. Why is it that your tool box wont come out?
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to mount my tool box on the top of my sideboards...by the rear of the cab to the wood.

Let me know if you wanna know how I built them.

7. kylefiroe90

hey man that looks pretty damn good. Are those 2x6's on the sides? ya if you could tell me the directions on how to do it cuz im kinda confused on how to attach the sides to the bed or just make an actual box.
  8. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

I am eventually wanting sides on my bed. I'd like to have metal stakes that go into the bed pockets for attachment points with lumber for the actual sides. I'm thinking about actually getting Cedar deck boards, drying them for a few weeks, then planing down the edges so there is no radius and making a solid side. Waiting on the first busy months checks to come in. :)

Good Luck!
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I made a strong box...doesn't flex if your pushing real hard on it. I felt that using the stakepockets would lose rigidity.

6 pins, 6 drilled holes, 2x4, 2x6 for rail cap, and 2x10 for sideboards, decking screws.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  10. kylefiroe90

that box looks damn good man! The only part im not sure about is that if your looking at my truck from behind the bed sides slope outwards wouldnt that affect the sides making them lean out? If you wouldnt mind you think you could post a pic of it from behind with the tailgate down? much appreciated my friend