Adding stairs to a wall and I am needing help!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ric3077, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not have a pic, but just picture a straight wall about 40 feet long and four feet high...the grade of the soil at the base of the wall is perfectly hill to cut the stairs into. question is, since there is no hill what is the best way to ad stair to the wall (wall hasn't been built yet...just an old tie wall is there. If I bring in some fill and create a hill as a base for the stairs I am worried it will settle too there any way to do this? Thanks for the help!
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

over so many feet of fill it will sink you need to put dummy blocks underneath but if their is no hill why do you need steps going up
  3. Ric3077

The want steps so they can get from the lower level to the upper level...
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Pics please. I have no idea what you are talking about. Atleast draw us a sketch in paint.
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If I understand your have a wall that will have steps stiking out from it rather than set into the upper level behind the wall.

Looking from the top down, you lay the first course of the wall, and trace the outline of the first step, all at the same time.

You then add courses to the wall and tracing the step until you have come to the height of the first riser (no cap). Then you keep adding to the wall, this time you trace the outline of the second step and so on. In my crude drawing, it woul be the black outline, then the green, then the red and last the blue.

You can fill the entire cavity with block (pedestal method) or compact a very solid gravel base and lay each step.

Hope that helps

Attached Files:

• step.bmp
      File size:
      575.5 KB
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you haven't done it already, download the Versa-lok installation manual. There's very detailed instructions in it on how to build a couple of different kinds of steps. I believe there is also a "tech bulletin" specifically on steps...

Steps can be a major PITA, but what it sounds like you are talking about really shouldn't be too terribly hard.

Go with the pedestal method. It'll add to the cost of the block, but the manpower savings (not to mention it's WAY more solid) will about equal it out.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good solution stepes can be a pita i try to avoid them much as possible. It also creates a lot more money, if you go back in the wall you have to have 2 side walls consuming a lot more material. I dont use versa lok but i went to a seminar and there manual is very helpful.
  8. Ric3077

Edgewater and D Feliz are right...I need to do stairs striking out from the wall...I bid the job today and won it. Total project is almost $9k, about $2.5k for the stairs alone THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!
  9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

$2500 ..........? are they gold plated?
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

You lucked out on getting that kind of money.