Adding to your name....???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jan 9, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I already have Turf Trimmers registered. At the time, That was all I registered. Do I have to reregister it if I were to add "Landscape Management" on one of my logos?

2. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

That's a state-by-state issue. Your Department of Licensing would give you the best answer. The short of it, I think, would be yes you could use "Landscape Management" during your normal course of business, however if there were ever a legal question such as another LCO with a similar name then you would have no legal claim to the addition.

*I am not a lawyer:)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When you say you have it registered, do you mean as a DBA, or is it a state licensing (I don't see why it would be necessary), or what? Adding to it is usually rather simple, even though it DOES have to be re-registered. On the other hand, if you just used the term Landscape Management on the end - telling what you do, I don't think it would really make any difference. My total title contains Landscape Management (as a matter of fact Professional Landscape Management, but my checks just get wrote out to Ground Control. All my deposit slips - I just write Ground Control on those, as well.
    I think most people just say Verizon, not Verizon Wireless. Nextel, not Nextel Communications, etc.. Now, it IS important that when you develop a co. name, it should tell what you do or what the business is within the title...This way, people know exactly what the business is. In other words, you should not use names like "The Crew", or "Smith's", without also stating what the business is. I see that often - even on here, and it is one of the main marketing no-no's.