additional charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 20, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

first time mowing there. the gates to the back yard both had pad locks on them (this is a law, because of the pool) . i stopped, mowed the front, nobody was home to unlock gates. she called (of course i havn't returned her call) she wants us to come back and mow the back, she will leave gates unlocked. extra fee, or no?

2. CURBAPPEAL NC

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I would consider doing it one time but, if it happend again charge. Just tell her to hide a key 4 u!

3. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

in my contract it says that if gates are locked area will not be mowed returning to lawn to do area that was unaccessible the customer may be intitled to pay extra

note:didn't use exact wording up above

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

when you gave the estimate, you had to walk in the backyard right?, how could you not notice the pool? since it's the law i'm sure you already knew about the padlock needing to be there. why didn't you discuss this at the time of her estimate, and ask for a copy of the key. or didn't she deem you trustworthy enough to hold a key? :nono:

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

interesting philosophy, wise one.

6 more to go, bobby!

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

when i quoted the yard, there were no locks on the gates. i aint no policeman (i'm too intelligent for that) . i say, she waits till next week. it's paid for, so i don't care

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

to save yourself some trouble next time, when you give a quote that has a backyard gate, take a minute and take the big mac out of your mouth and ask, "i notice you have a gate, will you ever keep it locked."

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno but this crap only has happened to me twice, nowadays the first time it happens, you leave a key or make sure it's unlocked or something... I don't even like it when I have to call the evening before (because sometimes I forget).

Both of the customers that did this to me were the kind who HAD to be there, and I can assure you anytime I run into someone who HAS to be there, I run and fast.

Yeah, it's always something... Soon as you think you got yourself the pita-free schedule, it starts all over with one piece of bs after the other lol.

Oh well, I'd see if that joker was enroute the next few days but this would be a one-time thing: key made for me or no more service.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

i guess, if we look hard enough, we can ask lots of questions:" will there ever be a tractor trailor parked in front of the gate?" or " are you expecting to have a circus put up tents here?" i tend to just go with things the way they are. no locks on gates? ok, we can go with it

10. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Slow growth right now. I would suggest to the customer to not worry about the back until the next cutting and deduct/refund 25% only (customer needs to have some penalty).

I would also state clearly to the customer that if it happens again, you will not come back and cut the rear lawn without an additional full payment + mileage due to going off your normal route, nor will you refund/deduct any charges.

Now, having said that.....if she's a babe and she lays out by the pool while you check out her bushes, I'd cut her some slack.

JMO