1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

additional charges for service??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rainsofthouston, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rainsofthouston

rainsofthouston LawnSite Member

i'm relatively new in this business. i've got about 6 yards right now and i'm looking to expand, but i'd like to throw this question out there first. is it customary to charge additional fees for other services? (ie. topping shrubs, cutting down dead limbs, vine removal and such.) i don't mean felling and hauling off a tree or something like that, just minute things that don't take too much extra time. i mean is that just part of the regular service or should i be entitled to other fees? any advice would be appreciated.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, anything above and beyond grass cutting is entitled to extra fees. (even if it's something like picking up branches that fell off a tree after a bad storm). If it's costing you time, then it should cost the customer. And also remember, when you have to haul off debris, make sure you make it worth your while, because it's a pain to have to dispose of debris.
  3. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

minutes turn into hours into days.
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

By all means! Everything is extra unless you account for it in their weekly/monthly price. That's like the guy that does your tires. You ask him if he'll change your oil. You can bet he's gonna charge you for the extra service right? The you should too! Your time, your dime.
  5. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Absolutely there's an extra fee for anything "extra" that you do. DO NOT fall into the "just this once trap". If you perform an extra service for free once, the customer will expect it each and every time. It becomes a cycle that is hard to get out of!
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

MDLawnman speaks the truth even though his avatar picture shows a pea for a brain.:waving:
    Anything extra has a charge and that charge is no less than $10.00. I am not ripping people off by it and they know that if I spend time doing something they want, they pay. I am usually there to mow the lawn but I will do the small extras for a small fee.
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It is important to have a contract that outlines what the client is paying for and what is extra and the charges for additional time. Just to be sure they have read that clause I have a line they initial that states they have read the policy so there is no confusion. The more educating you can do to lessen the "gray areas" the better.

I have one document that is three pages (12 font size) that out lines what my business practices are. It covers this type of thing and other things like storms, extra dumping, who's time they are billed for. What is extra, what is included and a brief paragraph educating them about the fact that while I may pay the crew for 8-9 hours in a day that I can only bill for time on the job which is typically about 6-7 hours per day. I also let them know how far the dump is, the fact that we do mowing,pruning, low voltage lighting, fertilizing, irrigation, work and everything is on the truck so we can serve their needs without delay. They understand the business a little better and are less likely to balk at the hourly rate and extra charges.