Additional Services

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hoss315er, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hoss315er

Hoss315er LawnSite Member
    from NY

I was just curious as to how many services some of you offer? Two in particular; dog poo (just saw an ad in town paper) and the "invisible" radio fence for pet containment.

I installed my own radio fence last year and it was quite simple. Well, I did rent the machine that trenched, laid the wire and then back filled the trench. Really simple. Bought survey flags to mark it and provide the dog with a visual association to the boundary.

Anyone do either of these services?

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Dog poop service is ridiculous. Anyone that can wipe their own ass can go clean up after their own dog. JMO

3. Hoss315er

from NY

I totally agree..but there are people who are paying for the service.

I have to admit, the wife does are lawn poo pickin upin! But I think the boys are getting old enough for that job this summer.

4. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

I agree that everyone that could wipe their own $#@! could pick up their own dog's poop....however, I could say the same about lawn care....it is easy, and I love it, but you and I know that some of the $$$$ people that I do a service for wouldn't ever think of mowing their own lawn, or putting mulch in a flower bed much less pick up dog crap. My buddy in Colorado says that in his town, there are companies that do just that, pick up dog crap, and that is what they "specialize" in....:dizzy:

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i agree that service is crap!!! haha. but if i can wack-em another 8-15 bucks to pick up the crap when im allready on site its worth it. heck man with 50 accounts an extra 8 bucks a week makes a big diffrence ($400 extra) especially because your not really spending extra money. make the new whipper on the crew do it.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

How about services that are more related to this business, like hedge trimming, spraying, stump removal, tree removal, tree injections, landscaping, hardscaping, overseeding, aerating, lawn rolling, edging, fertilizer program, garden tilling and so much more. The invisible fence might be a good service to ad but poop scooping I don't think so.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Well the same can said for mowing ones lawn. :rolleyes:
    If they don't want to mow their own lawn there is a good chance they don't want to pick up their dogs poop. I will be listing this service for my weekly mowing clients for the growing season. Not sure if I will continue this service through the winter. This will also be part of my spring clean up service bids payup

I'd rather charge the client a poop pick up fee than I would a equipment clean up fee. It's value added service - you're already there an it's not like that's your only service. You don't have to disclose at your 20 year reunion that you're doggie butler :laugh:

Winter time poop pick up as a serious PITA die to all the soiled snow :( I'd have to really charge $ to make this worth it.
    Simple answer to this: shovel, 5 gallon bucket with multiple liners, paper towels. All those other services require specialized tools. payup

8. Hoss315er

from NY

Just asking a question. Trying to get involved in this forum besides just reading other members' posts. Radio fence I posed because I did it last summer and seemed fairly easy. Hey... I still have a dog!

As for the poo...I just included it because I saw it advertised as "pet waste clean-up". It is offered as a summer service in addition to mowing, trimming, bush and tree maint. Made me wonder how many LCO's offer this service?

But, you did say "and other services". Why not these two?

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i could have had the franchise to invisible fence back over 10 or 15 years ago for like 5000.00 for the whole state, after they told me what it did i said who the hell would do that to their dog.? who would have known how big that would have gotten

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I wouldn't pick up poop. But I have thought about the invisible fence installation. IDK, still thinking about it.