Address list?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What is the easiest way to setup a small direct mail campaign. I usually go around neighborhoods and write down the address. What is the easiest way to get them on the envelopes. I have to admit, that I have never printed a label in my life. I have Office xp if that helps. I also have a program called stamps.com, In the past I would enter the address and print them along with stamp and all. But this makes my address book get cluttered with address I have to browse through when I'm mailing invoices to regular customers. I'm thinking maybe i'll just get the wife to hand write them all :)

What do you guys do/use?

Soupy

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just setup a seperate file for mailing labels through works, word, publisher, etc. Then save that seperate from your regular customers.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Like Tiedeman said, I use Word

If you have Microsoft Word, use that.
    Open Word up.
    Go to New
    Find where it says Mailing Label Wizard
    Click on that.
    It will ask if you want to create one label, or create labels for a mailing list.
    Click on for mailing list
    Click on label options
    Select the labels you will use.
    I use Address 5160
    It will set up a page of labels - 30 of them per sheet.
    Type in your names and addresses.
    When you are done, you can print them out, but don't forget to save them. Then you can always have them handy if you ever want to send them an advertisement again.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

You can also use the mail merge feature found inside of Word.

If you have a letter that your sending out to multiple individuals you can create an address block. Word will ask you to populate the address table with the info you want to display, then it will label all the letters for you (names, business's, addresss, cities, states, zip etc) it will also label your envelopes.

It's not an actual mailing label, it places the address block right on your document or envelope. Nothing against mailing labels but the address block looks a bit more personalized.

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i think that having your return address and the individual address on the letter itself and using double windowed envelopes is the most professional appearance for letters. once you understand how to do it, it takes no longer than any other method. jmho

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Could you possibly send me a sample of one of your letters. My email is soupy@charter.net I would love to see how you have it laid out. If you prefer to replace your text with dummy text, That would be fine too. I just want to see the layout.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Soupy
    I don't know if this will help or not but instead of writing down the address on an envelope while driving around go to the library and look at the Haines Criss Cross Directory it gives you every address on any street you want.It also has a chart in it for people who do not want any mail or phone calls.

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't there any easier way to get addresses than driving around streets and writing them down?

9. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

To get addresses you can call a mailing list service. They can do lists by zip codes, sub divisions, property owners gross income, property value,ect. My sister in-law does marketing for a bank. She does alot of mailings for refinancing. She uses them alot for mailing lists. You could do it for a zip code, but how many of the people in that zip code are renters? with a mailing lst service you can narrow it down to property owners with properties worth x-amount of $'s.

I check with a service in my are its x-amonut of $'s for x-amount of addresses. with a minimum of what ever they set. you can either get a printout of the addresses or for more $'s they will print them on labels for you.

To find a mailing list service check in your yellow pages under mailing services.

Hope this helps,

Brian

10. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

Call me and givr me the streets, and Ill get you the names and it is easy to attach to a letter or flyer...we do it all the time