Adhesive Removal

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 30, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Any have good method of removing dried PL adhesive from caps? I was thinking of muriatic acid. Anyone tried this?

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That stuff is just to caustic to work with, we just use a sharpened paint scaper or a steel trowel, jab at it a bit and it comes off. Another method you could try is a grinder with 4" blade.

3. PatiosInstalled

PatiosInstalled LawnSite Member

i found out that if you take a large torch and heat it up then take a paint scraper to it, it comes off like peanut butter.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We have used the torch method as well and it works very well. We have also heated the end of a pointed trowel and used it to cut the glue off a cap that someone stepped on and twisted.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

3M has adhesive remover available in spray cans.
    Works good and will not damage painted surfaces.

6. stihljixxer

stihljixxer LawnSite Member

Use an angle grinder with a diamond blade on it. also can be used to work out high corners on the block to give your caps a perfect appearance.

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a portable torch that we will try next time. The grinder works ok if your talking about the underside. I was more concerned with adhesive drying on the finished side of the caps or stones. Every now and then the guys either set the glue gun down, or worse yet pull up a cap or two fro realignment and sit down right on top of a set stone.

I'll try the torch. Sounds like it will work fine. Thanks.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That is why I am not going to use PL anymore, I waste more than I use because it just keeps leaking out. I like Gator xxx best.

9. Creative Group Ltd.

Creative Group Ltd. LawnSite Member

LOL, it also smells like dung when u heat that glue up!

10. jamo1911

jamo1911 LawnSite Member

7" angle grinder with a 7" wire cup. Comes right off. The 4" will work too, but time is money.