adjust price???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Apr 11, 2003.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say you give a bid for a job that you think will take a bit less than 3 hours. so your price is a bit less than 3 times your hourly rate.

The job actually takes you only 2 hours. Do you charge the original 3 hour price or adjust it down to what it actually took.

I would think that customers would like getting a break in price.

What do you guys think. Do you want more details?? I asked this as a general ??? on purpose.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess it would depend a little on the customer.

Such as, how long have they been a customer of yours?
    Are they a customer on your VIP list? VIP list meaning what we call our really special customers.
    Do they spend a good deal of money each season with you?

If you answered yes to these questions, then yes, maybe a price reduction would be in order.

Otherwise, no.

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If the customer accepted your bid, I would leave it alone. If it would have taken you 4 hours, would you go back to the customer and ask for more money? People can be funny, if you go back now and say I over bid and want to return some money, some people might think that your original intent was to rip them off but got a case of the guilts. I would leave it as it stands.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What I would do is do it a couple of more times and if it still comes under the time in a major way then, yes I think that I would cut the price.

Because imagine this situation: What might happen is that you might do another lawn and it takes the exact same time as that current lawn but you charge them less. It might get back to the current customer that you are charging them lets say $40 more compared to that other customer that took the exact same time. And that customer gets upset and drops you and you lose that account. So you have to think of it in this way...drop down about $15 to $20 or lose the customer all together.

5. PaulJ

That's kind of what I thought some of you would say.

A little more detail. Power raking just over 11000 sq ft. When I bid it there was a lot of dead/dormant stuff from the winter. And I figured on close to 3 hrs. power rake , then two passes to bag everything up with the mower and A LOT of time dumping the mower bag.

I the mean time the owner mowed the lawn pretty short. and got up some of the stuff that would have come up power raking. I was able to bag it in one pass with my mower, and took just 2 hrs.

The customer is actually a new one but potential for more work. He's our family doctor and sort of a friend of the family. He always has some samples when he prescribes meds. for us.

I did drop the price some, not quite a whole hours worth. The situation and job changed some between the time I bid and when I did the job. I know I should of just not thought about it and collected the amount I bid for.

Sometimes I am just to nice.

I will probably be aerating this yard in the fall and possibly a fert program next year.

Again thanks for the input guys.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Since you didn't elaborate on what type of job you were bidding, I did not assume you were talking about mowing.
    I actually thought you were talking about a one time job such as a cleanup, etc.

7. PaulJ

It was a one time job, Power raking and I used my mower to collect and remove the debris. ( I hate to rake) I also trimmed and edged. There is a potential for more work like aeration in the fall. Plus he is a person who might pass my name along ot the right people for more jobs.

Sorry I didn't go into detail in the first post but that was on purpose so I could get an Idea of the general opinion without the details of why I did the job this way or what I should have or shouldn't have done.

Turf medic, I don't ask for more money if I under bid. I try to bid on the high side and if I way overbid then I can give them a break instead of sticking it to them. I want to be fair with everyone. I really didn't overbid it originally but the homeowner got ambitious and did some of the work before I got to it in this case.

I almost alway stick with my original bid but sometimes.............