Adjustable reccessed downlight and Inside transformer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by RLDesign, Feb 5, 2010.

1. RLDesign

RLDesign LawnSite Member

Halo - H1499RT Recessed Lighting - Remodeler Housing

This client will only take recessed fixtures for security and downlights. I am looking for a rotating fixture with some degree of positioning. It can be low or line voltage, but I want a nice brass or black trim and adjustability. The adjustability and beam variations leads me toward lowvolt lamps/fixture, but not sure if anyone out there has any other suggestions. Any help on this or transformer selection for inside use would be great.

WAC Cooper QTRAN and many others. What are peoples experiences with safe interior transformers, probably 4 zones of about 300 watts on each zone, and 1 zone (security) with 500 watts. For the security zone, I have 5 locations that my client wants motion sensor turn on of spot lights. We are thinking about using recessed fixtures with 35-50W wide floods. How would I tie them all together? I was thinking about powering them in clusters of 2 by location using UPB controls. I was thinking about using ABT wireless sensors on the low-volt side, and setting up a master switch for the security through that route since the 5 security light/sensor locations stretch across 2 buildings. Talk soon.
  2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Tanek, most of the larger companies transformers that we all use on a regular bases are rated for indoor/outdoor use so check the unit that you use most to see if it's rated for interior use. QTran is very good for sure.
  3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Tanek, have you seen the Halo H3 line? Nice trims. I still prefer the Contrast Line myself, more trim options there in the 3000 series. IT3000E cans and T3450D trims.

Qtran have a remarkable line of interior remote LV transformers. Much better than the UCP (new accronym - Ubiquitous Chinese Product) stuff that Juno, Progress, Hampton Bay and other "retail" lines offer. Much more expensive mind you, but you will appreciate their features and functions.

I would suggest the UPB solution as it is comprehensive and adaptable. Better than mixing technologies of switches, dimmers and remote controls.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW Our units are approved for both indoor and outdoor use. Our units, including our homeline units are used regularly for interior lighting.
  5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

James does any upb company make a motion sensor?

Tanek the abt motion sensor im very happy with. But it is not a top of the line system. For some projects it has limited capabilites. Ive also been testing the sunset for about 3 weeks with no problems
  6. RLDesign

RLDesign LawnSite Member

James, Who of the UCP companies would you suggest for an interior 300-600 watt transformer? On a UPB system, 4 zones of lighting equals for 4 transformers, correct??

7. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Correct Tanek. They only system that is multizone on one trans is the ABT
  8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Tanek, I guess I would start with Juno for a reasonably priced 300-600w interior transformer. Just make sure the darned things come with on board secondary side protection. (probably small round resettable breakers). Most of these things look the same, they are small black steel cubes, magetic core&coil type.

On the other hand, you get what you pay for. You know the refrain.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my UPB setup for interior/exterior lighting

Note the two 12 x 12 enclosures ... one to house interior transformer(s), one to house exterior transformer(s).

The two gang box below the enclosures will house UPB relays to power (on/off) the transformers when needed. The 4 gang box above will also house UPB relays for the various exterior lighting.

Since this is a downlighting thread, have you had the chance to evaluate any of the Cree recessed downlight products?
  10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

I have looked at most of the mainstream lines of interior LED recessed lighting and to be honest with you, I dont like them. So far all I have seen are rather large diameter product with really limited trim options and even more limited optic options. I suppose if you were installing for some generic downlighting in a generic home you could use the current offerings, but then if that were the case, the clients would probably not spring for the 300% increase in component costs associated with LED fixtures.

Until the products change drastically by offering more optic options and much nicer trim options I don't think I will be going there. In fact, I am betting that I will have a 340+ Lumen, fully dimmable LED MR16 on the market way before integrated led fixtures catch up. Now that will be a game changer!

LED cove and undercabinet lighting is a different story as there are a number of effective, efficient options available with great features. A little pricey still, but for those clients who want "current" and "trick" we have the options.