Adjuster problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Jun 18, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

My rear adjusters on my TroyBilt 21" are nearly impossible to adjust. This kind of defeats the point of a "quick adjuster" when I have to get out a screw driver and pry it (and even this is not an easy task). The mower is not that old and I'm not sure why this is happening. Any suggestions?

2. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

Well I'd try disasymbling the rear adjusters and puttint some grease ( red,black just something very gooey) on the bolts that hold it together and put it back together. sometimes corrosion, or rust can keep them from working properly, and the grease won't "sling off, or fall off" and should stay on for a long while. Just might cure your problem. Just my $.02
    Have a Good'ay

Conoverbandit

3. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

A mechanic at the shop told me to grease them, but I think you're right, that they'll have to be dissasembled first, because it would be difficult to work the grease in when they hardly even move.

4. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

If your going to disassemble and clean up the parts, try reassembling it with a good anti- seize compound. It adheres much longer than grease. In the future you can use a good quality lithium based grease at regular intervals.