Adjusting deck rake (Lazer HP)

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BigDave, May 3, 2004.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Here in MD this spring, we have had perfect grass-growing weather, with rain every couple of days. The thick grass has caused the issue that whenever I head up my hill on the HP 52/23 - with my 220 lbs - and the mulch kit - and the new ROPS with its added weight - the blades and engine bog down - sometimes to the point that I'm afraid its going to stall.

I did some research here where Terry says to keep the mower moving to let the grass be released (I do); keep the blades sharp (I do); check the belts and idler pulley (I don't know how to do this, but the unit only has 60 hours on it); make sure the engine runs at 3600 rpm with blades on and no load (I plan to have this checked next year); and check that the rake is at 1/4".

I measured the deck rake, and it seems almost exactly flat. So, I plan to adjust it so that the rear of the deck is 1/4" above the front. My question is: is this as easy as it looks where I should - evenly on both sides of the deck in the rear - loosen the nut where the chain attaches to the deck and slide it down (so that the rear of the deck will be lifted), and then tighten?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dave,

I wouldn't touch the chains unless I was very confident I could re-level the deck. If all you want to do is add a little rake to determine if it will help keep some of the grass from sticking I would adjust the front only. You can adjust the front of the deck by adjusting the nuts on the long threaded rods that run along the front frame. All you need to do is mark the nut and remember that each full turn of the nut will raise or lower the front of the deck 1/8". You may be able to do this one yourself but remember that you dealer is your local Exmark expert and he/she can be a great asset when given the opportunity.

Before I spent too much time on the setting the deck rake I would determine if the engine rpm’s are set correctly, is the engine running properly and is this nothing more than a symptom of the current cutting conditions. Also a new set of plugs can really make some engines come to life in the spring. The combination of plugs that may be a season old and fuel that may not be 100% quality can really make an engine anemic.

Thanks,

Terry

3. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Terry, in the picture below, which exact nut needs to be turned (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6) - and should the nut be turned clockwise or counter?

Thanks,
    Dave

deck.jpg

4. eXmark

Big Dave,

5 and 6

Terry

5. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Do 1 and 2 control the rear then?

6. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Is 3600 rpm wide open? If not, how does one measure rpms?

7. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

OK, I plan to lower the deck to the ground, then give both nuts one turn counter clockwise.

Thanks.

8. eXmark

Soccerlan, the two nuts only control the front height of the deck. The rear is adjusted via the rear chains.

Statman, you'll need a tachometer to check your engine rpm's.

Thanks

Terry