Adjusting ECS Controls

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by stahls2, May 5, 2002.

1. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I purchased a 2002 Turf Tracer HP 52" 17 HP Kaw with ECS and a mulch kit. I absolutely love this mower and so do my customers.

My question, is there a way to make the ECS control handles easier to squeeze? When the speed control is positioned in the 2-3 position, I am only using the tips of my fingers because I have small hands. Also, my hands cramp up because of the tension on the control handles are too much for me.

Any suggestions??

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Stahls2,

My answer would be a definite maybe.

First, we don't really hear this on the ECS controls, which could indicate a couple of things. One is that something is hanging up. Make sure you lubricate the flange bearings that are mounted to the side plates. Second look for anything that is showing signs of wear in the linkages. If the machine is fairly new and you spot a component with excessive wear this could be an indicator of excessive friction. The second thing I would do is take it to the dealer. It is possible to have an excessive tension on the reverse stroke but that too would be highly unusual unless someone tried to adjust it and went the wrong direction. Adjustment of the linkages on the hydro walk behinds can get a little tricky. Take it to your Exmark dealer and have him call us if he has any questions what so ever. While your there check out a new model and compare it to yours. This could be your best indicator of whether or not there is something wrong with your machine. They should feel about the same.

Thanks

Terry

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

FWIW,
    To the dismay of all other pistol grips makers, if you are having a problem with you hands now, it's only a matter of time before you develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It's part of Pistol grips users. Ask any old timer that have been using PG's for years, and he'll have Carpal Tunnel.
    There is a solution....... a Hustler WB. Hustler is the only machine that won't cause CTS. Also, the Hustler will increase your hourly rate by $5/$15 just by switching from any Pistol grip machine.
    Sadly, you and many like you just haven't taken the time look for an alternative to the "Red, Orange or Green" machine.
    Pete

4. realtor

realtor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

FIY
    Purchased 2002 Turf Tracer HP 48" 17 HP Kaw with ECS and a mulch kit 1 month ago. Great machine, very responsive. But towards end of day, tired handsÂ…. I to have small yards with many turns and back ups. Just wanted to acknowledge there are 2 of us that feel the tension on ECS could be softer.

Chuck

5. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I love the ECS controls on my metro 36" but my hands agree that softer would be a little better...

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I switched from pistols to ECS last year. I used to have CTS but not no numbness only hand soreness. Which I believe is better than CTS but I really do not like not having as free motion of my fingers that I used to.

That makes 4 of us.

7. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

i have 48hp, I can control it with only 1 finger. sounds like something is hanging or in a bind. I also have small hands but no problems with controls

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

After a couple of hours of use I can also feel the ECS a little too stiff. I think it is in the design because my machine has 75 hours on it, which is not enough for much wear. You can really feel it if you have to use reverse quite frequently. Any ideas?

9. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Also if you use it in "6" a lot which I do since I want to go fast when I can but when I need to slow down I need to grip. I guess I could just go "3" all the time and spend 4 speed belt drive time on all my lawns and make 50% of my income.

10. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ALarsh,

I don't know if this will help but it sounds like the flange bearings need greased on the pump control arms? Take a look at this and let us know.

The levers will have more force in reverse because you are compressing the reverse spring.

Thanks Fred.