1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting Hydros

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grass-Masters, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1998 48" Hydro scag walk behind. My hydros are a bit touchy, is there a way to adjust them, so the wheels do not stop so sudden when turning. thanks for any help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you click on the link below with your model and serial numbers in hand you can download a operator's/parts manual that will cover these adjustments.

http://www.scag.com/manuals.html

3. bock

bock LawnSite Member

I have a 48inch scag hydro and when i adjust the tracking it goes almost straight at a fast speed. When i just go to a slow walking speed it pulls really bad to one side. Do i need a hydro fluid change? What could cause this problem!??

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a scag, but when I bought a used husky hydro it was so damn touchy and jumpy. I fixed it by turning out the adjusters on the dual hydro's. I experimented for a while but they only took less then a 1/4 turn out from the fully tight setting. Not sure if this will help, but thought I would suggest it.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your hydro belt is in good shape and adjusted to the proper tension.

You could be too far in one direction in your neutral band (neutral position on the pump arm).

If the hydro system hasn't been service in a while go ahead and do it, It will not harm anything but keep everything operating smooth.

Also check all the hydro line fittings making sure they are tight, One could be sucking a little air but not show a leak.