Adjusting in the wind

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 16, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I just finished a 17 zone 86 head install. Took 2-4 guys (depending on the day) 5 days to do.

I think we did pretty good. Problem is, its in a real windy area (Right on the Straits of Juan De Fuca), and its been blowing so hard that I haven't had a chance to adjust it.

Do you guys adjust for the wind so that on a calm day it doesn't cover enough, or do you adjust for the calm days and expect mass overspray on the windy ones?

2. I try to adjust for calm days..and hope they water at less windy times of the day...

I hate adjusting heads in the wind....can never get it JUST RIGHT.....

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you were watering sod, you'd have to compensate for the wind, no matter how bad it looked when calm. It's the kind of situation where the low-angle nozzles/heads might be useful.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I ignore the wind and adjust to the zone shape. However, our prevailing wind (out of the northwest) has a pretty consistent direction and strength in the middle of the night which is when our programs run. Often we get a reverse direction wind during the day (out of the southwest or southeast) when we're adjusting the sprinklers. When it's windy I ignore the second half of the stream and adjust to the first half of the stream which is stronger and more stable. I use the bill of my hat to block out the second half of the stream while adjusting rotors.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a handful of customers over the years want their start up re-scheduled due to winds, saying we can't adjust properly. Ok, but it's another 2 weeks before we get there, not tomorrow. They usually let us did it when I give them that reply.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
    Yes thats me with the hammer, and the other is one of many customers

6. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe this don't belong on this thread, but your problems with wind are common, and I was wondering if any of you ever used like "Netafim" drip, or however it goes. It is supposed to be installed 4 - 6" under ground, manifolds at ends to create a "loop" type system. Idea being that there is no spray, just soaks under the grass.
    Anyway, I was just curious if you had ever utilized this type or heard any experience's with it.

Thanks

7. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Airiozna they use it a bunch. We have some of the newer schools being built having a 20' buffer around the building with it to prevent iron stains. This system saves 65% of water usage if I remember right. I know its substantial anyway. Vermeer has a three shute blade set-up on a machine to pull it in. Its pretty cool.

8. Well....speaking of wind.

I installed 3 new RB5004s yesterday to replace 2 MiniPaws that were 60 feet apart...sigh....anyway I digress.

It was windy and I adjusted as best as I could...she called last night at 930PM to let me know that she was pissed as hell that I would adjust these heads to hit the house, the gravel and the fence.......she said she sprayed her weeds 2 weeks ago and now I've watered them. The whole yard was a POS....not like it was Trump National or something.

Anyway, she tried to adjust the heads herself for 3 hours yesterday before calling me (sure she did)....she wants me to come out and give her instruction on how to do it....saturday or sunday....LOL!!! I am emailing her a link now to RB's site.

did I mention I hate wind?

9. PurpHaze

Maybe it's the piss-ant customers you really hate instead of the wind??? :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

I sure hope some brainiac administrator doen't come up with an idea like this until after I'm retired. :dizzy:

Course, we have an administrator that cut out all the interior turfgrass on two new schools because "hardscape is easier to maintain than grass". He then found out that concrete reflects heat mightily onto buildings during the hot times and they've had to build permanent huge shade structures to try and combat the heat. Aint working very well. :laugh:

Maybe they should stick to education and leave the other things up to those of us that know what is really going on? :cry: