Adjusting my Walk Behind cutting height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dta61999, May 27, 2005.

1. dta61999

dta61999 LawnSite Member

:help: I am new the business and just purchased a used MTD PRO 1652 Hydro walk behind. My question is the mower is cutting way to high and we want to lower it to get a good alround cutting height but have now idea what we need to do. I know the spindles has one spacer on top and the back deck is set to the bottom holes making it as high as it will go(there is only two sets of holes for the back of the deck high or low) And the blades have the spacers all set to the lowest blade height. What do I need to do???

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Did you move the spacers on the casters to the top?

3. dta61999

dta61999 LawnSite Member

no I have not done anything yet. Moving the spacers on the casters, won't that make the front lower than the back?

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have your manual for that mower? It will tell you the the different combinations for the front casting spacer and the cut heights....

It may change the pitch of your deck some but doesnt sacrifice quality...

5. dta61999

dta61999 LawnSite Member

I do not have the manual but I am trying to get one. I will try to move some spacers on the casters and see what I get. Thanks for the advice!!

fredjr1956 likes this.
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lesco 52 wb and a scag Sthm. I prefer two spaces on top and 3

on the bottom for mowing. I have 3 spacers on bottom of castor 1 on top.
    On the castor the lowest setting is 2 and 2. because the center roller

hits. In the fall I set the spindel 1 on top, 4 on bottom. better air flow.

Later 0 on top 5 on bottom. Also change to Gator blades for fall. Ed

7. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

dta, ideally you want the front tips of the blades about 1/4" or so lower than the back tip of the blades. The reasoning is that the front half of the blades will do the cutting, giving a better cut. On my Lesco 36 I usually have 2 spacers above and 2 spacers below on the caster wheels, then I make minor height changes with the spacers on the blade spindles. Also, don't forget to check your tire pressure, especially the rear ones.

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

hope this helps

cut.jpg

9. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

I should have also mentioned the obvious, since you basically answered part of your question - adjust your deck bolts so the deck itself is lowered. All the walk behinds I believe I've seen have the bolts for the deck set for the lower level cutting. I suppose you could set the deck bolts higher to get more angle on the blades if you wanted though...

10. dta61999

dta61999 LawnSite Member

Thanks to all the members that gave me alot of great advice, especially the chart from hole in one. I think I can build from this info and get it adjusted correctly. Being new in the business it is great to have site like this that you can get advice from. Thanks again!! :)