1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

adjusting rpm/blade tip speed on a kawi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Any ideas on how to adjust the RPM, or blade speed of a kawasaki motor...It is on my gravely 144z. I believe this may be the root of the problems i have been having with crappy cut.

Trevor

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi, or admin
    Can you move this thread to the repair forum, probably do better there. Sorry for the inconvienience.

Trevor

3. if its a vtwin vertical shaft ...there are two 10 mm nuts under the air cleaner loosen them ..and there is a plate like that moves up to raise the rpms ..very easy to adjust

mower_babe likes this.
  4. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

exactly what odin said, you can get another 200-300 rpms..

5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Will it be bad on the engine to raise the rpm's... Will it overheat easier?

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't think 200 to 300 revs more would profoundly affect engine life, but it should shorten it a little.

I'm thinking about trying the same thing with my Deere L110. It's a Kohler Command 17.5, and I'd love to get better blade speed and faster ground speed out of it. Anyone tried that?

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

you can also put some high lift blades on there. The one that came on my 252 were low lifts, not so good with all the growth we've experienced this monsoon season...

8. im not sure what that engine is rated at ......i set my kohler 27 command at 3750 under no load setting still not moveing with the blades on ..

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm assuming by "plate" you mean the entire mechanism that has the throttle and choke cable attached to it? All I need to do is slide that entire thing up 1/4" or so? Just wanted to make sure before I start taking things apart. TIA

10. First get you a tach ...yup its plate were the throttle choke connects . Losen the nut right were the throttle choke connect on the right side of the plate ..and the nut on the other side were the plate connects to the engine block.

Get a good sized screwdriver or wrench push up on the plate.